Monday, December 7, 2009
Today was very snowy where I live. Too wet and cold to go outside...but there is always an up-side to a day like this. Stay home and work on the projects I have been wanting to do for a while.
Several months ago, I found some ivory colored corduroy fabric at the sale section. I guess it was the end of the bolt and I paid around $3 for 22" of fabric. I wanted to make a skirt for Rachel.
Here is what I did:
1. Cut 2 pieces of 16" X 22" of fabrics. This will be the main skirt.
2. Cut 4 pieces of 3 1/2" diameter circles, 4 pieces of 3" diameter circles, and 4pieces of 1 3/4" diameter circles. I traced the circles using the drinking glasses in my kitchen. This is a personal preference, so, you can change the size as you want. Be creative! For the leaves you will need 12 of them. I just eye-balled it and cut them out.
3. If you have a serger that would be great, if not, you can use the zig zag setting on your sewing machine to sew the edges of the circles to prevent flaying.
4. Put together three different sizes of circles. To make it look interesting, I alternated the right side of the fabrics and wrong side of the fabrics. You should have four sets of flowers. For the leaves, put fusable interfacing then do the same.
5. Lay the flowers and leaves out on the skirt fabrics. Use the pictures as your guide. Leave about 2 1/2" on the bottom for the hem line. I used matching colored DMC floss to hand sew the flowers and leaves. Use the up close picture as your guide.
6. Take care of the edges to prevent flaying, put the skirt fabric right sides together then sew both sides. On the top of the one side, leave some opening for the
I did 1/2" seam line. Open and Iron.
7. For the bottom, I folded twice(first 1/4", second 1") and sewed. For the top, I did the same thing, put 1/2" elastic through. You can measure your little ones tummy to know how much elastic you need.
I got carried away and did some bead work on the flower too.
Also, I used some left over corduroy to make matching flower clip! Rachel loved her new skirt and she was very happy wearing it all day long.
See, there is some benefit to the bad weather :)