Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Link Party No.79/ Dollar Store Sock Dolls


Hi all,  it is time for our monthly link party! 

My kids are out of school now, and I keep thinking about fun crafts and cooking ideas I can do with my them.  I have an idea I can share with you today and it is so darn cheap!  I found these 3 pairs of socks at a dollar store...


Not bad at all right? I made a sock monkey before but it was with high socks.  I though for a minute about what and how I can use these to create something.


What I did was use one of each sock from the different pairs.  I was able to make two sock dolls.  Here are the steps for what I did...

1. Cut the rib knit part off.  This part becomes the head and body, set it a side.


2. To make the legs and arms, take the other two socks, cut off the rib knit part, and heel as the picture is showing.  Cut the socks in the middle, fold the fabric right sides together and sew near the edge.  Turn them inside out.


3. You can mix and match and enjoy the possibilites.


4. Start stuffing.  Even the little ones can help with this part.  Rachel really had fun stuffing them to make it look really round, or skinny.  After some adjustments by mommy, they look like this:


5. Sew legs into body, sew it shut.


6. Close the opening on the arms, and sew them on to the body.


7. For one of the dolls, I decided to add more definition to the head and body.  If you choose to do so, you can sew a couple times around the neck, and pull the thread to gather the fabric to create the neck.


8. Create ears. I used the heel part to creat ears.   Sew them on to the head.

9. Now it is the most fun part of all; accessorizing them!  I went through my buttons and DMC floss to see what I have, and came up with two different characters.

Meet Miss kitty

and her beloved friend Mr. Stripe Pants (if you have a better name for him, don't be shy, leave a comment :) )

They are very fun to make, and didn't take much time start to finish.  I think older kids are totally capable of making this with some help, but even the little ones can help with stuffing, picking out buttons and the colors of the threads.


It is now your turn to share whatever you have been creating.  Do you have any craft ideas we can do with our kids?  Very tasty summer recipes?   Well, lets start the party! 
Ok everyone, I bet you have some projects you would love to share.  I am excited to see what you have been working on!

1. Please post something YOU made. It doesn't matter if it is crochet, quilt, clothing, anything would be fine. I want to see it! If you use someone's idea or patterns please give them the rightful credit.

2. Link to your specific post, that way it is easier for everybody to find and read it.

3. Please grab the "Tea Rose Home" grab button, and link back from your post. If you can mention the party in your post or place the button on your side bar, that would be great! I want more people to have a chance to come and show off their creation.




16 comments :

  1. Cute little dolls!!! Thanks for hosting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a fun & DARLING project to do with the kiddos - on our list! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, those sock dolls are so sweet! I have to try them now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your little sock monkey--how adorable! Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such cute dolls...
    Thank you for the party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for hosting! Love that little sock monkey! Have a wonderful day! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMGOSH! I started smiling big as soon as I saw these- They are just darling! Great job! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  8. First time here as a new blogger and I have to say that your sock dolls are soooo adorable!!!!

    ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  9. so, so cute!

    Today I made a ring display case following your tutorial.

    I blogged about it, and linked back to you. http://cottonrose.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/jewellery-storage.html

    thank you for such a brilliant (and easy) idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job with the socks! Thanks for hosting the party.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your sock dolls. I started a store selling these and am working on some new creations. Thanks for the party. Meaghan
    http://raisingourfamily.blogspot.ca/p/store.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for hosting! I wish you a great end of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for posting this, I made some of these dolls last two days from pink, white and purple socks. They are really fun to make.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Me again, just wanted to show you guys my dolls that I made on my blog http://craftybliggityblog.blogspot.com/2012/07/bipolar-dolls.html

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin