Thursday, May 15, 2014

Shoe Makeover with Liberty of London Fabric

A couple years ago, I found these shoes at Ross for $8. I had intended to refashion these super shiny shoes with huge bows but because of other projects, I had totally forgotten about it. Thanks to the move we did last summer, I have found items like this all over the house.

I have been the #1 fan of fabrics from Liberty of London for years (and years!) and I have sewed things with it. Now, I wanted a one of a kind Liberty of London pair of shoes! I will show you what I did. :) Before we begin, here are the list of things you will need;

Fabric that you would like to use
Mod Podge
Sponge brush
Freezer paper (or the tissue paper used for wrapping would work as well)
Scissors
Pin

{How to}

1. I decided to create a pattern first. I felt like I could give this shoe refashion a more precise beautiful finish. Cover the shoes with freezer paper, press it to the shape well, mark it with pencil.

2. Trace the line with marker. I just used the other side of the pattern to create a pattern for the other shoe. They just need to be a mirror image.

3. Lay down the pattern onto the fabric and trace around the paper. Then add 1/2" seam allowance to the fabric. You may not need that much seam, but I wasn't so sure about the pattern I created, so I wanted to make sure that I had some extra fabric to play with.

4. Snip around the curves. Be careful not to cut into the finish line. This will give a nice curve to the finish.

5. Fold the seam at the finish line and press with an iron.

6. Lay the fabric on the shoe, and bring the ends together. Pin them to the back of the shoes, so the fabric will kind of stay in its place while you are Mod Podgeing.

7. Use the sponge brush and spread generous amounts of Mod Podge on the shoe. Line up the one side of the folded fabric to the edge of the shoe and lay the fabric and press. Make sure there are no bubbles under the fabric. Pull the other side of the fabric and line it up with the edge of the opposite side of the shoe and press. Because there is extra fabric to play with on the seam, you can adjust as you are glueing the fabric to the shoe.

8. Work your way up from the sides to the back.

9. Finish up the details.

10. After that give a thin layer of Mod podge (just like a top coat). Let it dry.

11. They are ready to wear!

Liberty on Liberty...

Mmm... My own Liberty of London Shoes... I am in my happy place. Great thing is- I didn't spend an arm and a leg for them. I can't wait to see them under the warm summer sun!

19 comments :

  1. How clever. I love them and have a couple of pairs of shoes that have lost their newness that would be perfect for this project. I must try. I don't have Liberty fabric but have other I can use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these! This seems like such a fun project. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love them! Long live Liberty! I have a pair of flats that would gladly participate in remodeling project this weekend.
    Thanks you so much for the inspiring idea!

    Have a great weekend!
    Mia
    Regular Cleaning Bromley

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is amazing, Sachiko! I think there is no limit to your creativity. The shoes look great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so pretty! Mod Podge isn't waterproof, though, so I'd be careful where you step with these! I would hate to see the fabric get ruined.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So clever. Plan to try this soon. Thanks for sharing a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So clever. Plan to try this soon. Thanks for sharing a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, now that's just cool... I'll have to go through my supply of "old shoes I may not want anymore" and see if there's any new life to salvage. Love recycling/reuse/repurpose ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How well will this shoe last if you are wearing them and it should happen to rain? Can the shoes handle getting wet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Long after the modpodge drying, I would coat them a couple of times with waterproofing spray, just to offer some defense.

      Delete
  10. It doesn't rain much where I live, also I try not to get them wet. So I don't know...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did you turn under the fabric where top and sole meet?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Did you turn under the fabric where top and sole meet?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have you experimented with other glues, like perhaps fabric glue? I was wondering if it would cause less friction against feet (when dried). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin