Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Tutorial~ Liberty of London Framed Christmas Ornament


My love for the fabrics for Liberty of London goes back to when I was in junior high. There was a fabric store which carried them, in the city I lived, and whenever I had chance, I went to the store; I just admired it with sigh. When I had my first job in high school, I bought my first Liberty of London fabric... over the years I collected them here and there and I have a hard time cutting them.

But, what good would it do if I don't make anything and just let it sit on the shelf?

This year, I wanted to create a Liberty of London Christmas tree with hand made ornaments! Of course I will do the tutorials as well, in case you would like to make some. :) I have several ideas for the ornaments, and every now and then, I will post an ornament tutorial until Christmas. What do you think? Wouldn't that be fun?

So, the first one are these Framed ornaments. They are inexpensive and easy to make and I think this is one of the best ways to showcase some pretty fabrics.

{You will need}

Small wood frames
Acrylic paint
Card stock (index card would work too)
Liberty of London fabric scraps
Mod Podge
Cabachon or other findings to decorate the frame
Thin ribbons or trims
Small bell

{How to}

I found these ornament size wooden frames at Michael's for around $1.69 and they were 40% off! Not too shabby, huh?
1. Remove the twine and paint the frames. Set it aside to dry completely. Lay the frame on a piece of card stock. Trace inside of the frame. Then, add slightly less than 1/4" around the traced line and cut it out. You will need two to make one frame.

The card stock should be large enough to sit nicely but not too large to see from the front.

3. Apply a thin layer of Mod Podge to the card stock and lay that side down onto the wrong side of the fabric you are going to use. Add about 1/2" around it and cut it out.Apply a thin layer of Mod Podge on the card stock, then fold the corners first. This way you can fold the fabric in a miter, and the corners will be less bulky. Fold all sides and stick to the glue already on the card stock.

4. Apply more Mod Podge on the entire surface. Then stick the other card stock to it. Press and hold till dry or lay it on a flat surface with a heavy book on top of it.

5. Apply a thin layer of Mod Podge on the front to give a nice coat to protect the fabric.

6. Apply Mod Podge around the edges, then stick it to the painted frame. As you did on step 4, lay it on a flat surface with a heavy book and wait till it dries.

Nice clean back...
7. I added cabochons to decorate the frames, changed the string to a trim that I had and added a bell. This step is totally optional. Depending on what you use it will give a very different look to the finished ornament.


My Liberty of London ornament making has just started, but I am pretty excited about this idea. I can't wait to share the next one with you! :)

7 comments :

  1. Thanks for that tutorial, Sachiko. What a good idea for Christmas. It is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful idea! This year will be only the second time we've had a tree and I'm always looking for some great ornaments to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hola , tienes un blog precioso y unos trabajos maravillosos, me quedo por aquí para ver mas cosas y te dejo la dirección de mi blog por si te apetece seguirme SALUDOS
    maitedecopart.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Liberty of London fabrics too! I have an ulpholstry sample of the Strawberry Thief hanging over my desk. And a pair of Dr. Marten boots with the same print. I wish there was a store near me that sold it..... These ornaments are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sachiko, beautiful ornaments; thanks for the DIY. Also I like the extremely English fabrics. greetings

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so simple and pretty. Thanks for your tutorials.. Jaslynn, Bizbilla

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin