Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Baby Lock Sashiko Machine Project ~ Scarf

In the morning and in the evening it is getting a bit chilly where I live. I prefer cold weather to hot weather (the heat sucks out my energy) and I am anticipating the upcoming seasons. Fall is where I can start incorporating sweaters, cardigans, jackets, coats, boots and scarfs and have fun with layering. Speaking of scarfs... what I have here today is a quick tutorial on how I made a light weight scarf using my Baby Lock Sashiko.

* You Will Need
2 yards of Gauze or other lightweight fabric
Various Yarn, threads you want to use on the scarf

Note: I decided to use two yarns. One is a little thicker with waves and the other one is thinner and smooth to give variety and visual interest. For the thread, it is recommended to use medium weight thread because the machine doubles the stitches. Using a heavier thread can cause shredding and inconsistent stitching. Some recommend smooth cotton threads, like Aurifil; I personally love Aurifil. I made several projects with Aurifil on my Baby Lock Sashiko and the sewing process went smoothly and I liked the results. Also, remember to avoid metallic threads that can be too elastic or loosely spun. If you want to know more about thread and other tips, my friend Evy from A bit of Stitch has a fantastic Youtube video about Thread recommendations.

* How to
1. I cut the gauze in half, so the scarf will not be so wide. My scarf is going to be 25" wide x 2 yards. Then I used my regular sewing machine to zigzag the side so it doesn't fray.
2. From this point on, you can be an artist. Just imagine how you want the stitches and yarns to look on the scarf and start stitching. I started out with cream color thread first with stitch length of 5 and space length of 5. The stitch won't show much, but I love the subtle texture it creates on the fabric. Run a few lines on the scarf top to bottom.
3. I added the thick yarn next. All you need to do is to hold the yarn and stitch on top of it. Remember, the yarn doesn't need to be perfectly straight. I purposely made mine a really soft wavy line.
4. Next, I used thin green yarn. I used 2 strands of yarn and braided it as I stitched it down.
5. I didn't take a picture of this process, but lastly, I added stitches with Blue thread. I used the setting of 5 stitch length/ 5 space length. In the picture, you can see blue stitches running through the scarf. I love how the color pops.
Here is a picture of that part of the scarf. As I said in the beginning, I didn't have a set plan of what and how I am going to stitch and add yarn. It is pretty random, but it worked out as I pictured in my mind. The great thing about this project is that you could add even more stitched lines and yarn if you want to make them even more the focus of the scarf. I usually like muted colors and subtle designs, and that's what I did, but your scarf might look very different from mine.
Time to take it for a test drive!
I love how it turned out and it is making me want to make another one with a different color. Perhaps Navy fabric with brighter colors? I am looking forward to using this often this fall!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin