Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Life as We Know It

Allow me to share what has been on my mind lately...

Rachel has been sick since last Friday and so far she has missed three days of school. She has all the flu like symptoms, and a little over 100 temperature on and off.

You might think that I am a horrible mother for saying this but, I was a little bit annoyed... I couldn't help hearing a voice inside my head saying "OH, come on you need to get better soon! There are a BUUUNCH of things I need to do around the house, some Christmas shopping and wrapping before they start their Christmas break!"

But that thought quickly diminished when I heard about the shooting in Connecticut. I am sure that I am one of many mothers who held their children tighter that night.

I haven't watched or read whole a lot about the tragedy, because that will make me really upset; although, it has been on my mind a lot. My thoughts turn to the families who lost their loved ones, especially the parents who lost their children.

I cannot imagine the pain they are going through.

"Life as we know it" is a funny term. Most of the time, I think I am on autopilot; going through everyday life. I expect the same routine and somehow I think it will keep going on like this. But the truth is I don't know what is going to happen next. Accidents, illness or a horrible tragedy like this might blind side me.

Just like after the earthquake in Japan, this tragedy made me think a lot. Sometimes, I get so caught up with things or just to get things done, I feel like I am missing the point.

Are my priorities set right? Did I see my family off with a smile and hug? Am I spending quality time with my family? ...etc.

So, as I mentioned in the beginning I have been cooped up inside the home for a while with my sick child, but I am ok with it. I’ve read many books to her, we saw her favorite movie (for now) Princess Diary 1 and 2 many times together and are planning a mother & daughter day out when she gets better.

When Mr. TRH and the boys get home, the noise level inside our house goes from 2 to 10 and somehow gets messier all of a sudden. But it doesn't bother me too much. I found out that it is hard to get upset or irritated at people I am grateful to have in my life.

I still have some Christmas shopping and wrapping to do, but that can wait.

6 comments :

  1. Hello there...
    I was like u before...attending to a whole bunch of children,household chores... But i manage somehow...
    now they are no longer staying with me. Oh!how i miss those days...
    So it's ok to be protective n spend as much time with them cos u'll be surprise they'll grow very fast n soon will leave the house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! I think we're all feeling more this way now. I pray that if any good can come from these horrible tragedies - that it is to make us open our eyes to what is truly important in life and to hold onto them with everything that is in us. Thanks for posting this today. And, I hope Rachael gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so right. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really pegged what I think a lot of moms have been thinking. I too have purposely read and watched as little as possible although a lot of praying has happened. We (moms-parents) aren't perfect and are sometimes going to get frustrated but we'd never trade our kiddos for anything. Thanks for the lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not american but when I saw everything on Internet (I don't have TV) I was so sad, being a mother of one 14 girl I cryed like a baby. I am very sorry for this tragedy, but I think, if it was not so easy to have a gun, if it was forbidden like it is here in France.... Maybe it is time to have the courage to say stop for our children.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many awful things are happening in the world. I pray daily for the families and friends of all the lives lost and for those who are suffering. Sure does bring life back into perspetive !

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin