Thursday, January 24, 2013

Chair Makeover Reveal

Before I begin this post, let me say thank you to those of you who sent me well wishes though comments and emails. I appreciate your kind words! I think I am better now, and my little girl is getting better as well. It started from one of my boys, well, three down out of five and I hope it stops now... (Knock on wood). Everybody stay healthy ;)

I am so excited to reveal this chair makeover to you today... I found this chair at a thrift store a while ago. I didn't like the colors on the chair, but it had great structure. When I was inspecting it, I found a sticker with the engraving "Ethan Allen". (When I got home I googled it and found out that same type of chair cost about $400 to $500) Wow, there was an invisible red light flashing above my head, I had to get it! It was marked $9.99, but I had 20% off coupon. That's right, a coupon for a thrift store! This thrift store gives you coupons when you donate a bag of items; isn't it great? Anyways, I purchased the chair for about $8.00!

Here is the before photo...

Now the after... (I LOVE IT!!... Squealing with delight!)

I really wanted to create a unique, one of a kind chair for myself. After much back and forth, I decided what to do.

I painted the chair with "Reflecting Pool" from BEHR. It might look like white at first glance, but it is actually, blue-ish gray. I wanted to do something different than my normal white. To re-upholster the cushion and to create the new pillow for the back, I basically pieced my favorite fabrics from Amy Butler’s collections and hand quilted them.

I decided to pay attention to detail by adding piping and fabric covered buttons.

The top portion has ties on the four corners.

As I mentioned I just love the beautiful curves this chair has.

The colors on the pom-pom pillow I whipped up a while ago, actually goes with the chair!

I hope my excitement shows through from the loads of pictures and my writing. There are a couple things that I would have done differently, but I still really love the result. It's still freezing cold outside, but I feel like early spring has arrived just around this chair in my house. :)

36 comments :

  1. Wow that is stunning! It would have taken me months to complete!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow!! With the repainting of the chair it just makes those colors pop! I imagine most would feel cheery just being in the room with the chair! Beautiful makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That chair is Beautiful. You did an amazing job. Had never thought of quilting fabric to use to cover furniture. Great idea. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! What a steal - Ethan Allen! I will say $500 chair looks like a million bucks now. Glad to see you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It´s beautiful!!! Congratulations for the all your work you put in to this chair!

    Regards from Spain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous wouldn't be enough!!
    I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely fantastic! LOVE the colors and pattern, and all that hand-quilting - just beautiful, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I love it too! Great Job, it's a work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You should squeal. It's awesome. So shabby chic. Glad to see you're up and about again. Stay healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! this is beautiful! I love the color combinations and the quilting on the back pillow makes it really pop!

    ReplyDelete
  11. sachiko! it looks amazing! i love it. you are so talented and have such an eye for design.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my dear, this is so beautiful. Love all of it. The fabrics you chose are fantastic and so is your labor. I like the fact that you used a gray/bluish paint. You have inspired me to seek a makeover chair. Have a wonderful day !!

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a great transformation! It went from sad chair to cheery chair! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous! The chair is truly beautiful and has inspired us to get creative x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, it looks completely different than before. It's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Its wonderful! what a smashing makeover.......!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks *ever* so much prettier than the original colours.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your attention to detail humbles me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stunning makeover! The upholstery job looks neat and is so bright! A beautiful piece of furniture of your own :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. So pretty! I love it! You are very talented and have such a great eye. I hope I can make time to learn to quilt someday. Sooo... What thrift store is this?? Oh and also, I agree, the colors are very cheery now. I think I need to follow your example and add some bright colors to my own home because all the inversion around here has been pretty depressing. :P

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy that the flu is over now. I have had flu two weeks ago, too, and this year I've got the whole pack: fever, muscular and articular pain, no voice, headache and the feeling that I have a cat sitting down on top of my head. Here (south Spain) we joke about having spanish flu... what else? :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you everyone for your encouraging comments! I am so happy how this chair turned out and I would love to do more of these in different colors in the future. :)

    Jared and Megan-
    The thrift store is Savers. I know, isn't it crazy(awesome) that you get to use coupons at a thrift store?? You never know what they have until you actually go there, but when I find furniture like that it's well worth the visit.

    Epesse-
    Oh no! Sounds like you have been hit pretty hard by the flu this winter! I hope you are done with that this season.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Uuuuaaaauuu!!!!! Que transformación!!!!!
    Me encanta.
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW! Absolutely incredible! It's so unique and beautiful, and I would NEVER have expected that out of what looks a lot like a generic Chinese buffet chair.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's absolutely lovely! And you are right, totally unique. Go ahead and pat your self on the back a bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a wonderful job! Thanks for sharing the eye candy.

    ReplyDelete
  27. wow! the chair looks so wonderful. i love the fabric you chose. looks so bright and cheery. well done!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love your chair!! And the very pretty fabrics!! :) How cute is that pillow too!! xo Holly

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a FABULOUS makeover...your attention to detail is amazing! Enjoy your beautiful chair!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin