I found the shirt at a thrift store for $5. The pretty floral print caught my eye; it reminded me of Liberty of London’s style. A while ago, JCrew had a shirt that Liberty of London designed just for them. I loooved the shirt but it had a pretty hefty price tag of $150.00... I have absolutely no plans to pay $150.00 for a shirt in the near future (or never). This will be the closest I can get to a Liberty of London-ish shirt. :)
The shirt was sized XL. I usually wear XS or S, depends on the brand or style of the clothes. I have done alterations from Medium to Small, or Small to X-small, but never from XL to Small. I hesitated a little, because I didn't want to make a mess and waste the shirt, but I decided to give it a try.
This shirt was from Nautica, it had a collar and was a button down shirt. There were pleats below and above the bust line.
1. I cut off the collar; I always wanted a pretty floral shirt with an open round neck. I added bias tape, and put elastic.
2. I created an additional button hole and sewed on a button.
3. I sewed both sides of the shirt and sleeves to make it smaller.
4. I then cut off the wide cuff, and created thin bias. Then, I gathered the fabric and added the bias tape.