Friday, June 3, 2011

Tutorial ~ Eclectic Necklace ~



One of the jewelry projects I did recently is this necklace. I always wanted to try to make one with many different items and elements. I thought that it is a little more challenging to mix and match and I might be able to come up with something unique.

To make this necklace, I used wood, metal, and leather. I also mixed vintage items with new findings. Go ahead, go fish around the house... you might find some fun and unique items to make a one of a kind necklace!

{You will need}

35" thin leather cord
22 (1/2") Wood beads
Large main piece (in my case, it is a vintage earring)
2 Medium to large side pieces (I used a couple metal findings that I found at the scrapbook section)
A few more small findings (you can use anything...findings for scrapbooks, buttons etc.)
Fabric
Glue ( I used E 6000 clear type)

{How to}

1. Tie a knot at 9" from the tip of the leather cord.


2. Slide a bead on and tie a knot. Repeat this process with 9 beads. I left a space about 4" for the center pieces, and tied the knot for the other side. If your center piece and findings are something you need to put through the cord, you need to do so at this step before you start adding more wood beads.


3. Put clip on earrings in the middle of the opening. Glue it, and wait until it is all dry and stable.



4. Add flowers on the sides. I cut out a few circles from linen, put glue on and used them as "tape" to bond the flowers to the cord. Wait for the glue to get hard for each flower.



5. Add smaller findings to fill out the spaces between the bigger pieces. Use the same method to glue them on.


6. Done!


I wore it with white clothes, but the necklace goes well with other things too.


24 comments :

  1. Was just thinking of doing something similar, with all the odd earrings and broken bits and pieces I have lying around my jewellery box. Great design - it looks Fab.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this necklace! It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. totally cute! And I love that it didn't require any jewelry making tools :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have a good eye for things like this. I thought the necklace was pretty but it didn't wow me until I saw you wearing it! I would have never thought it would look that stunning. Very, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love i love i love!!!! reminds me of a vintage jewelry necklace i did a few months back. this is so fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice! I love vintage bits of glam like your earring. This is a great way to USE them instead of just hanging onto them in a jewelry box! Thanks for the Tute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh wow, i really love this and how you mixed textures and materials. what a statement piece!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! That is so pretty! I have also wanted to make a necklace like that for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. très joli !!

    raffiné et de très bon gout

    amitiés de Regina

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely. Great tutorial, great design.

    ReplyDelete
  11. love it!!! I have an old cookie tin full of broken pieces of my Grandma's jewelry destined for a project like this...love how easy you made it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the necklace...thanks for sharing...I never thought to just use a clip-on earring--clever!

    ReplyDelete
  13. gorgeous! the colour combination is lovely!

    thank you for featuring my crafts! totally made my day!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey really nice t-shirt and necklace collection. love the t-shirt and necklace design. good work keep it up!!!

    Custom made dress shirts

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow- so cute and simple! I'd love to do something like this with a bit of western flair.

    absolutelyagriculture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hei, I really liked your tutorial and I can't wait to try it for myself. I hope you don't mind but i pinned it on my pinterest account. This is the link: http://pinterest.com/butterflytimi/. Thank you and have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This necklace is so beautiful, you are very talented, thanks for sharing.

    Carol of Carolsjewelry.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. This necklace is so beautiful, you are very talented, thanks for sharing.

    Carol of Carolsjewelry.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for the tutorial its great!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Teresa:
    Love this gorgeous creation. Your simple, well explained instructions result in a unique, lovely necklace. I will definitely give this a try. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin