Thursday, January 26, 2012

Tutorial ~ Sweater Refashion


I shared this sweater refashion at Me Sew Crazy last week. I am posting this here today just in case you missed it!


{You will need}

Sweater
Fabric
Laces, Ribbons and buttons
Matching thread

{How to}

1. Wear the sweater and decided how high you want the triangles to go. For example, just below the bust line or a few inches below the bust line. Also, mark the center with a pin.

2. I made a triangle template out of a cereal box and cut 8 triangles out of the fabric. The size of the triangles all depend on how long you cut into the sweater. If you want a more flared look, make sure that the triangle has a wide bottom. If you want a subtle flare, the triangle needs to have a narrow bottom.


3. Start making the cuts to the sweater. I made 8 cuts in all. In the center on the front and back, just to either side to those center cuts, and the sides of the sweater. They are about 4" apart, but you need to adjust that according to the width of the sweater. Just make sure that they are equal and well balanced.


4. Fold the bottom of the triangles and sew.


5. Sew the triangles to the sweater using a Serger or zigzag stitches.


6. Since the sweater was one size bigger than my size, I cut off some fabric from the sides and under the arm.


7. Pin, and sew the side. Make sure to sew in the fabric triangle to the sides at this step.



8. Make sure to mark the center of the neckline. I wanted the neckline to be slightly lower, so I drew the line and made the cut around the neck.



9. Make bias tape for the neckline. I cut mine 1 3/4" wide.


10. Sew the bias tape around the neck with zigzag stitches.


11. Start adding lace & ribbons between the triangles. Cut them to random lengths and seal the ends with fray check. Pin them in the desired places to check the balance and sew.



12. I didn't care for the long sleeves, so I cut them... I made the cut at the ribbed part, and took 6" off.


13. Sew the ribbed part back to the sleeves. I made it into 3/4 sleeves.



14. I thought it was a little bare around the neck, so I decided to decorate a little.

I made some yo-yo's, leaves, and flowers out of lace. Pinned all the embellishments onto the sweater to decide where I wanted everything.



* Sizing for the embellishments

* Yo-yo's: (S) cut 1 1/2"circles, (L) 2 1/2" circles (here is the link to how to make yo-yo's)

* Leaves: use 3/8" wide velvet ribbon. Cut 2" and fold it in half and lay both ends together and sew.

* Lace flowers: (I used 5/8" wide lace.) Cut a piece 5" long and gather the top and make a flower.

15. I wanted a little something at the back of the neck too. So, I added a tag with ribbon.


It is all done. All I needed to do was to try it on...


LOOVE it!





See you at next post!

67 comments :

  1. I remember this fabric from another project when I first started following you, I loved it then and now! I've missed your projects, good to see your sewing again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all you are the cutest thing and you have the cutest figure. But aside you also have a "cute" aesthetic that turns out timeless and lovely. Maybe it isn't cute but is whimsical? I don't know but your work always excites me.

    I had my painful procedure today- prolotherapy- not as bad as what yours sounds like but 2 days in bed for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sachiko tu sei bravissima e io ti seguo sempre, baci dall'Italia M.Grazia

    ReplyDelete
  4. how very laura ashley! love that fabric!! :) glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sachiko!!! It's wonderful :D
    Really love this sweater!


    http://alicecloset-sewing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your comments everyone!

    Danee-

    I hope you recover quickly, I will be thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sachiko, It's lovely! Nice seeing you're sewing again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's wonderful.
    Thanks for tutorial.
    Stefy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing. You are so talented. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is lovely!!! Very anthro-esque.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! I'm still a little afraid to go messing with sweaters, but you're so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I adore this idea! You are very talented :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! This is amazing! I cant believe how simple this is and what a huge difference it makes! THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG Sachiko!! This is too cute! You are a clever girl : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG Sachiko!! This is too cute! You are a clever girl : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this. I have a bunch of sweaters that I was going to trash because they were a smidge tight in the hip area(I hate that). Oh my...what a rescue for them. Thank you so much. I am going upstairs now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Complimenti una bella idea, grazie

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love what you did to that sweater!! You are such a creative person. Thanks for sharing it with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I absolutely love this! Do you have any ideas for a sweater coat refashion?

    ReplyDelete
  20. You did a really nice job with this sweater!!!
    Wanna do one for me?:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is adorable!!! :) I love that! :D Thanks for sharing!

    Blessings,
    Mikailah~

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful, I really love the idea! Congrats for your work!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That turned out so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is absolutely adorable! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is absolutely adorable! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. oh so nice. Recently I saw in a Japanese sewing magazine on using cotton fabric on knit blouse. It's a nice change to the texture and colors. Love your sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  27. génial ! il faut oser ! j'aime beaucoup

    ReplyDelete
  28. you are so talented n creative! LOVE the sweater refash!!! keep up the good work:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful. I just borrowed your technique to do a fleece skirt with a peek-a-boo penguin fabric for my girls. Sometimes the cute remnants I find are really small and to get something useful for both of them is difficult.

    I was just wondering if you have any tips for doing the tops of the triangles. I'm new to serging and couldn't figure out a good way to get up to the point in a clean way with the serger.

    Thanks for the inspiration.

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  30. You have to such a creative mind. I love your projects & Thank you for sharing your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  31. You have to such a creative mind. I love your projects & Thank you for sharing your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  32. c'est vraiment une bonne idée de relooking. bravo

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love it. So pretty. Great project thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  34. That's pretty and very cleverly done. Thanks for the tute.

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is so pretty and such a clever idea!

    ReplyDelete
  36. wow! That is so pretty! Maggie xx

    ReplyDelete
  37. I like your works. This shirt is beautiful
    I congratulate you.
    have a good day
    Josefina
    tijerasycuchara.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. I like your works. This shirt is beautiful
    I congratulate you.
    have a good day
    Josefina
    tijerasycuchara.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. HEllo! I didn't saw this one, OMG it's really georgous!
    Congratulations ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  40. I loved this tutorial! I'll try to do. If I can make it I'll post in my blog!

    Congratularions!

    Kisses

    Eliane (Mundo da Casa)

    PS: I'm Brazilian!

    ReplyDelete
  41. That is one of the nicest projects I've seen in a very long time, you've inspired me to have a go at some of my old and unloved sweaters!

    Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  42. I LOVE it too:)
    It's gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I LOVE it too:)
    It's gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Your tutorial inspired me to try the same type of thing on a blouse. It is not exactly the same, but close. I credited you and put a link to your site on my facebook page where I have the photos. Here is the link, if you'd like to see the photos: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3865290983532.2156389.1016238618&type=1#!/media/set/?set=a.3865290983532.2156389.1016238618&type=3
    Thank you for ALL of your wonderful ideas! I LOVE your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  45. So, so lovely!!!! What an inspiring idea!!! Thank you for sharing!!
    Blessings,
    Nadya

    ReplyDelete
  46. What a beautiful refashion. I love the romantic, feminine look!!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Just found your blog today!!!! Everything I have seen is fabulous and inspires me to get back into handcrafting. It's been a long time but I really enjoyed the creative process (and of course, the results!) I will share your site with my daughter and perhaps we can spend some time together doing something crafty! I have found new joy today! Thank you.
    Blessings, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  48. Odlicna ideja, koju moram iskoristiti!
    Excellent idea, I have to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  49. odlicna ideja, koju moram iskoristiti!
    Excellent idea, I have to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Oh my gosh, this is ideal for some sweaters I have! And described so well I may just be able to do it myself.
    Thank you thank you!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  51. I have just found your blog and am loving everything you do... amazing.. from now on its upcycle all the way

    ReplyDelete
  52. I have just found your blog and am loving everything you do... amazing

    ReplyDelete
  53. Wow....Very inspiring 😊

    ReplyDelete
  54. Awesome Tute! I have a blue sweater in need of updating and your instruction is exactly what I needed. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin