Sunday, August 18, 2013

Happenings and Pictures from our mini family getaway

I can't believe my kids are starting school tomorrow. Their backpacks are all packed with new school supplies, we attended back-to-school night a couple nights ago and we had Rachel's birthday party yesterday. Then... also on Monday, Mr. TRH and I are going to close and claim the house as ours! I am not so excited about juggling the new school year and moving at the same time, but we are all so excited about the new chapter of our lives.

I don't think I am going to share the picture of our new house on my blog, because I am kind of funny that way. It is outside of my comfort zone I guess and I really hope that you, kind readers of Tea Rose Home will understand that. Though, as I am going to decorate my house, I will share the picture of the rooms, and I am very excited to share that process with you!

So, as you know from my last post, our family did a mini family getaway last weekend. We didn't tell our kids where we were going, but I didn't want to build up their excitement too much so I just told them that it is definitely NOT Disneyland. We just booked a hotel in downtown Salt Lake City for a couple days and wanted to have a nice family time. We were thinking something like taking them to a movie they wanted to see as a family (we watched "Despicable Me 2"), eat out at a bunch of different restaurants; play in the pool whenever they wanted. When we got to the hotel, they were so excited and loved the plan we had for the weekend. Also, when we got there we found we hit the jackpot...

I had no idea that there would be a Craft Lake City DIY Festival going on that weekend right in the back of the hotel. We spent quite a bit of time there just enjoying everything. There was music, many talented crafters and artists’ shops (which I bought a few things for our house!) and there were lots of food shops.

At the kids’ craft area, there were several activities they could do. The boys got to build a model car and Rachel created a sun visor.

At the science & technology building, we all experienced virtual reality... got to build a small robot (which was created with a 3D printer!) and they were able to touch an actual human brain! I will not post the pictures of that here on my blog though...

Our room had a nice city view (and a view of the craft lake city DIY festival, I was so tempted to go back to buy more stuff!), we all lined up by the window and admired the city lights and the moon we found between the buildings.

Oh yes, the food... I found a booth that sold amazing macaroons. I can't find her name card right now, but when I do and am able to I will blog about it. It was so good that I went back the next day to have more... thinking about it makes me drool... also I rediscovered that fresh squeezed lemonade is so good in the hot sun. We as a family tried African food for the first time and it was SO good!

The brunch we had at The Park Cafe was heavenly... We rolled out there all happy and full.

Our mini family getaway was relaxing but at the same time full of adventure. We did go see a movie, played board games in the room, played at the pool as we planned but also the unexpected discovery made our time in the city so much more enjoyable. And you know, we didn't need to go far, it was all under our noses. :)

9 comments :

  1. Oh how fun! What a great getaway! Good luck with closing and the move and starting school. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations on the new house.
    I am curious to know if you made Rachel's ruffled dress and is it a one or two piecer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to go to SLC on business a couple times a year. It is a gorgeous and family friendly place to visit. And have eaten at the Park Cafe many, many times!! Great food!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! I always think it's fun to take little vacations to places close by and do stuff you normally wouldn't do. I'm excited for you guys to finally get to move into your house!!! We have been loving ours and I still love that we will be kind of close. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your comments! We are super excited about finally moving in to our new house. I can't wait to start decorating and share the pictures with you all.

    Brenda o-

    I wish I could say that I made that dress... it actually came from Target. I love that store. :)

    Kristin -

    I am so happy to hear that you and your family are settled in the new place and enjoying it already! I hope I can get to that stage soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post, as always, Sachiko!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post, as always, Sachiko!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm wondering if you are able to tell me the name of the hotel. My son goes to college in SLC and we're planning to visit soon. It sounds wonderful! If not publicly then maybe in a private message? I love your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY for your new house!!!! That is so exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin