Thursday, August 29, 2013

Review - Capri Sun

 

As a wife and mom of three children, decisions about what kinds of food to purchase at the grocery store are pretty important. I am not a health food expert or anything, but I try my best to prepare healthy, balanced meals with lots of fruits and veggies for my family every day. Also, I think it is very important for the children not to fill up their growing bodies with lots of junk food. Does my family eat perfectly all the time? The answer is NO. I hate to admit it, but we love sweets and junk food too. So, trying to make a conscious effort to make better choices for our bodies goes a long way, don’t you think? Growing up, my mother cooked very nice healthy meals for us every day, and we didn’t snack all the time. Dessert to us often consisted of very sweet peaches, well ripened cantaloupe, and juicy apples--those sorts of things. Occasionally, we had sweets and soda pop, and because it didn’t happen often, we enjoyed it so very much.

During the summer, my mom would buy Capri Suns and freeze them to use as ice bags. She packed them in the cooler with the special Japanese style lunch (Bento) she prepared. Then she would take us to the nearby beach or park. By the time we ate lunch, the frozen Capri Suns had melted just right (still had some small chunks of ice) while they were cooling the food and keeping it fresh. My sister and I were so excited and couldn’t wait to have a drink. The excitement, the cold delicious juice going down my throat, and of course being outdoors and doing something fun brought happy feelings. People say, “We do not remember days, but we remember moments”, and I think it is so true. I still remember those times as part of my good happy childhood memories.

Now that I am a mom, I have been doing the same for my children. I buy juice packs or boxes and freeze them to use as ice packs and put them in the cooler for family picnics. Sometimes I would pack them in the kids’ lunches for school as well. I grew up as a Capri Sun kid (if there is such a term) and, several months ago, when I found the Capri Sun 100% juice at a grocery store, I was super excited!! Capri Sun 100% fruit juice has 1.5 servings of fruit* in every pouch with no added sugar and my kids love the flavors they offer. Now that school is in session I will be packing a Capri Sun 100% juice into their lunches.

 

*Each pouch provides ¾ cup fruit juice, which is 1 ½ servings of fruit according to the U.S. Dietary Guidelines.  As part of a well-balanced diet, eat a variety of fruit every day and be sure to make most of your whole fruits

4 comments :

  1. I loved your sweet story about your childhood outings with your mom! :) But I thought I should warn you about Capri Sun and the problems with mold they have been having... http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/caprisun.asp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello.
    I'm a younger brother of Miwa of Japan.
    How do you do?
    It seems that Walmart and Kroger are circulated at a low price in large quantities there including transgenic food although it may be use usually.
    As mother who cares about a meal, or is not found very much.
    But if it searches, your children eat natuall foods.
    I will read a blog from now on also.
    then .

    ---
    Shintaro Sato (Miwa Sato Kamo's younger brother.)
    http://satoshin.net/wdp/
    Google+ shinsato.xi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi jinnie-

    Yes, I heard about the mold, but I am not too concerned. There is a website you can goto to get more info about capri sun:

    http://www.kraftbrands.com/CaprisunMoms/faq.aspx

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin