Friday, December 5, 2014

Tutorial ~ Star Ornament


I shared this tutorial at Ucreate a couple weeks ago; here it is for those of you that may have missed it. This idea came to me when I was doing some origami (the Japanese art of folding paper into decorative shapes and figures). I thought why don't I do this with fabric instead of paper? I tried and it worked nicely, and get this ... there is no sewing involved with this project.

Are you ready to start?

No Sew Star Ornament Tutorial finished size 6 3/4" x 6 3/4"

{You will need}

4 different fabrics (if you want all different fabrics 16 scraps)
Best Press(or some other ironing starch you prefer)
Mod Podge and brush
string

{How to}

1. Cut out 4 pieces of 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" squares from 4 different fabrics. You need 16 squares to make one star.

2. Take one square. I found that when I sprayed best press first, the fabric kept its crease better when I folded it and it was much easier to work with. Spray, fold the square in half diagonally. Then, fold that in half again. Every time you fold, press with the iron to make a good crease.

3. Open the up the triangle to a square. Bring all four corners to the center one at the time and fold. Press with the iron.

4. Fold the sides. Use the picture as a guide.

5. Flip the fabric over to the back side.

Fold the bottom tip up and fold that in half. Now you have a piece done and get to repeat 15 more times!

6. Push the tip of the triangle to the opening of another triangle. I used my small scissors to push the tip in deep.

7. Repeat the process until you have...

8. This!

9. You are almost done. As I was finishing up, I did a coat of Mod Podge to protect the fabric and also to secure the part that is connecting each piece.

10. Add a string when it is completely dry.

I am so excited at how it turned out!

I can't believe it's almost Chrismas! Whatever you are busy with, I hope you are feeling the joy and happiness of the season. I will talk to you soon my friends!

4 comments :

  1. Muy linda corona. Gracias por el tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a quilter and always looking for ways to use leftover fabric. I love this tutorial and plan to try it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin