Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Year 2014 Last Project ~ Herringbone Quilt


Shortly after Thanksgiving, I started working on this quilt for a really close family friend for Christmas. Because there was tons of stuff going on; just as you would expect in the month of December, I was distracted numerous times. He wasn't going to come to town until yesterday so I had a little more time to work on it. Whew! It was a close call, but I finally finished it a couple days before he arrived.

I didn't follow any particular pattern, and just used half triangle squares to create the herringbone design. If you would prefer a more unified look, you should use more of the same colors and tones. This quilt is about queen size. I was going to make a "throw quilt" for him, but I realized that he is about 6'4" or 6'5", Uh-uh, that wouldn't cut it. It needed to be bigger.

I usually hand stitch the binding, but I used my machine this time. Don't you think these stitches kind of mimic the herringbone design?

This is not my usual color scheme, but it is so fun to think of the receiver and trying to come up with a design that would fit that person. It stretches my imagination and forces me to try something new. Before handing the quilt to him, I had to test it outside...

Saying good-by to a quilt you spent so much time and effort on is a little bitter-sweet. Well, I guess it is more sweet when I think that something I created will be used for years to come by someone you care about. We were able to give him the quilt and I am very happy to tell you that he really loved it!

This was my very last project that I completed this year. What was yours? Of course if you love to work with your hands; what ever that may be, quilting, sewing, crafting, drawing... etc our work is never done and there is always the next project, right?

So, my friends, how was your 2014? What are your hopes and dreams for the year 2015?

I wish you all the very best! Really, I thank you and am grateful that you are visiting my little spot in blog land.

Have a Happy New Year!! xoxo

Sachiko

7 comments :

  1. happy new year to you & your family too!
    that is a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year to you, Sachiko. My my, what a beautiful quilt and what a lot of work! I am very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great quilt! What were the sizes of the whole and half triangles that you used? You say there's no pattern but I see a lovely geometric pattern in the full photo, very clever. It turned out fantastic!

    Have a healthy and happy 2015, and I look forward to more creative posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I really love that stitching on the binding. I've often thought about using decorative stitches and now you've convinced me to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful quilt! Quilting is now probably my favorite crafting outlet. :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin