Friday, September 12, 2008

The lesson I learned

In my last post I mentioned a little about my shortcomings and mistakes. Well, this is embarrassing to tell this story but it was such a humbling experience and from this mistake I learned great lesson so, I decided to share with you all.

My sons Christopher and Michael go to a charter school two cities away. Michael started kindergarten almost 2 weeks ago. Since their pick up time is different I have to stick around the area or come home and leave again in less than two hours to pick my other son up. During the week they have other activity to go to on top of the homework and reading. As a Mother we have more responsibilities (as most of you know), and my micro business to take care of. I was trying to do it all even though the past 2 weeks have been so crazy, I think I did fairly well starting to adjust to the schedule, but today I spaced it big time.

I went to the school to get Michael at 11:30, I was there 15 minutes early waiting; I was the first in line. Nobody showed up. This is weird, I thought. I waited till 11:45 and decided to go inside the school and parked the car in front of the building. As I was getting the stroller out for Rachel, My sweet husband Aaron and Michael came out from the school and at that moment everything clicked. I made a huge mistake! The pick up time was 10:30, instead of 11:30. I was one hour late!! Friday is a half day, I was supposed to get him earlier, and I knew that. I just spaced it. They were so worried about me because I am a pretty responsible person, something like this never happens. I felt horrible for both Aaron and my little boy who had been waiting for me in the front office by himself until Aaron came from his work. As I was saying "I am sorry" tears came down on my cheeks and I could not stop them. Thank goodness no one was in the parking lot, yes, I was having an emotional break down. I have been too busy.... Michael was walking circles around us at the time but as soon as I started crying he came over and gave me a big hug and said "It’s O.K. mommy. I'm not mad, It's O.K. Just don't do it again".

This little boy, my son, whose head just barely reaches my chest (and I am not a very tall person either), saw that I was very sad and showed great compassion. He never complained that I was late; instead he forgave me, instantly. How amazing is that. Could I act the same way if I were in his shoes? His kindness touched my heart so deeply it made me cry even more.

As much as I love being a mom, some days are harder than others. When they are having a difficult day I often wonder if they are going to be ok and become nice, good people when they grow up, you know usual mom stuff. Today, my 5 year old boy taught me a great lesson: How to be kind and compassionate through his acts and words. I am extremely grateful for that. Thank you Michael and I love you very much. I am proud to be your mom.


Michael on the morning of his first day at Kindergarten. September 2, 2008

5 comments :

  1. Your post made me cry and laugh all at the same time. You have some of the most funny yet touching stories I have ever heard! Thank you for sharing...it tells me that maybe Brody and Jocelyn will gleam something...even when I do make MANY mistakes! Thank you.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how forgiving children are and how much love they give and seek. We are very blessed to have children and yours are darling. I'm sorry your weeks have been so crazy. Such fun. BTW, I love your new background!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure how they could grow up and not be the best kids ever. Have you met their parents??? They are amazing. Your kids are adorable, and forgiving-who could ask for more??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post - I just discovered your blog and it made me feel for you. My 2 little boys are 2.5 and 1 year olds and sometimes I feel bad when I don't get to cut my youngest's nails straight away when they're long and then he gets lots of scratches on his face. It makes me feel like I'm a bad mum. But then, when they cuddle and share their toys with each other I know they are great little men and part of that is beacuse of me. By the sound of it, you have a very loving son and that's a credit to you and your husband. Well done!
    - Mariane

    ReplyDelete
  5. When my daughter was having her first baby, I told her that she was going to have her heart broken over and over. The story you just shared is what I was talking about. Not broken because they disappoint you...broken because they do such wonderful and sweet things. I am a grandma now of 11 grandkids and my heart has been broken many times, in a good way.
    Pattyjo

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin