Friday, October 23, 2009

Recipe---Mom's Pot Stickers---


So many people asked for my pot sticker recipe, so here's the truth...
I don't really have a recipe. This is one of the dishes that I've made so many times with my mom that, I just know how to make them. I don't think my mom has a recipe either.

When I was little, my mom worked at a ramen noodle restaurant for a short while. The owner learned how to make the pot stickers in China and came back to Japan and opened his restaurant. Eventually, my mom learned how to make them.

My mom used to say we're having a "pot sticker wrapping party" and made my sister and I help her wrap them. Although I thought it was forced child labor at the time, I remember that I had enjoyed the time with my mom and sister. We talked and laughed a lot while we wrapped so many of them.

So, I decided to guesstimate the pot sticker recipe for my beloved readers.
You might have to make them several times to get it right. Please give it a try, my mom's potsticker are soooo yummy! You won't want to eat pot stickers from anywhere else. Sorry, I am not going to be modest on this one.

Mom's Pot stickers

ingredients

3 lb Ground pork
1 lb Ground beef
1-2 bunches of green onions---minced
6-7 nappa cabbage leaves---boiled and minced
Fresh Ginger about 3 inches---minced
2-3 cloves of garlic
4-5 Tbs Sesame oil
Pepper
Pot Sticker Wrappers---you will probably need 3-4 packages

How to make

1, Squeeze as much excess water from the minced green onions and nappa cabbage as you can.

2. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl, grate in the garlic and then mix well with your hands.

3. Wrap them with the wrappers: Prepare a bowl with water and wet your finger tips to moisten the wrapper's edge, so it will stick.

4. If you are lining them on a plate, put Katakuri-ko(Potato flour) so the pot stickers won't stick to the plates. If you don't have this, flour should be fine.

5. In a large skillet, pour 2 table spoons oil and when it gets hot, start placing the pot stickers into the pan.(high heat whole time)

6. When the bottom of the pot stickers are dark golden brown, pour in 1 cup of water and put a lid on and steam cook. do not open the lid!

7. If you listen carefuly, you can hear the difference in sound in the pan. Sorry it is kind of hard to explain...

8, Serve with Soy Sauce and chili oil. I love hot and spicy food, so I pour lots of chili oil. You can also, try mixing in vineger too.


If there is an asian food specialty store in your area you should be able to get everything you need for this. Like I said in the beginning, this is a guesstimated recipe, so, you might have to make it several times to get it right. Let me know how it turns out.

I am planning to start teaching my children how to make pot stickers. I am looking forward to carrying on the tradition my mom started, by having a ... "Pot sticker wrapping party".

12 comments :

  1. would it be wrong to invite ourselves to your next "pot sticker wrapping party" ??? ethan just said, oh you should make those - i love pot stickers. but I'm pretty sure that i would have to have you teach me, i'm a visual person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I can't BELIEVE you go to so much effort to make potstickers, and this makes me feel BAD for the times you've made them for me! Ah, but they're SO, SO good I crave them even now. I have to BOIL the cabbage? How long? When do I know it's done? I think I need to watch you, too. Up for a lesson? Ah, potstickers...

    ReplyDelete
  3. About the Nappa cabbage... you will boil the water in a large pot, add some salt, then add the nappa cabbage. I only boil it for 3 minute or so(until the white stalk portion becomes semi soft.) Take care not to over-boil the cabbage.
    Put the cabbage into a colander and let it cool. Then you can start chopping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They sound so good! so how long do you actually let the potstickers steam? Is the difference in the sound tell me when they're done?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm...I love pot stickers! Your recipe looks very manageable and delicious.
    Mrs. Petrie @ casapetrie.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there.
    I'm just stopping over from TSSC. This sounds Amazing!!! I must try these, if I get up the nerve. I'm afraid that mine probably won't be nearly as pretty. What a wonderful family tradition. Thanks for sharing.

    XO*Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Finding out what a 'pot sticker' is has been an event for me, maybe in Australia they are known by a different name! I apologise that I have only just become a member after entering your linky party a couple of times and sneaking in to read a little....sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this recipe! I feel like this is a really dumb question, but you are mixing raw meat with the other ingredients right, not cooked? So everything cooks when you steam it? Sorry, I've just never made anything like this, and I really want to try it, but I'm a little nervous.
    Thanks!
    Haley

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cannot call them pot stickers. I must call them dumplings.
    They look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like it makes sooo many...if you have leftovers can you freeze these? If so, how and for how long?

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look delicious! Can the left overs be frozen?

    ReplyDelete
  12. My husband learned out to make these from Mrs. Wong, his upstairs neighbor in San Francisco's China Town. She and her friends soon were convinced that even though he was not Chinese, he could talk and eat like a "human being"! His recipe is almost identical to yours. I love pot stickers!

    I found your blog and will be following! Come by and see me at Home In Douglas!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin