Monday, April 4, 2011

The Little Hungry Catapillar/ Felt Food

Hi all, I am trying to make bias tape and finish up the quilt I am donating for the drawing at the fundraising yard sale this Saturday. Meanwhile, I wanted to post the whole post on my blog I did for Katy at No Big Dill for the "Once Upon A Thread" last month.

The theme was to make something that was inspired by a children's book.
And, here is the book of my choice...


When I got invitation to this event, The Little Hungry Caterpillar came to my mind right away.


This book is translated in so many different languages, and Japanese is one of them. Japan is where I was born and raised. Let me tell you a little bit about "our" history... I think I was about 8 or 9 years old at the time, one day I was at the public library and found this book with an unusual looking cover. I sat on the floor and started reading. Right away I was captivated by the bright colors, style and very unique use of pages; I thought WOW, this is amazing! Then, I flipped the page to all the food the caterpillar ate on Saturday... to me, that moment was double WOW, I was drooling over them (don't worry not on the library book). Who wouldn't in their right mind as an 8 year old drool over chocolate cake and ice cream? Yes, I love to eat, and this has become one of my favorite books.

So, I choose to make felt foods off of that page. I thought it would be super fun to use them to read with my children. Ok, let me recite the part...

On Saturday he ate through one piece of Chocolate cake, one ice-cream cone,


One pickle, one slice of Swiss cheese,


One slice of salami, one lollipop,


One piece of cherry pie, one sausage,


One cupcake and one slice of watermelon...


(You all know what happens to the caterpillar right?)

That night he had a stomachache!

The next day was Sunday again. The caterpillar ate through one nice green leaf, and after that he felt much better.


When I finished making the felt food and read to my kids for the first time, their responses were great! Of course, I did use a more dramatic voice especially when the caterpillar got sick from over eating. I made the puppet caterpillar roll on the floor in agony, they were laughing so hard. They each took turns to be the caterpillar and we all had fun. In fact, I got a special order from my very special client to make more caterpillars. Rachel asked me to make pink caterpillar, Michael asked me to make a green one just like the one from the book. My oldest son didn't say anything, so I asked him what color he wanted; he smiled and politely said "No thanks mom, I am ok." Yeah... he is 10, I guess he doesn't need his personal finger puppet (pout).

I couldn't read and take pictures at the same time, so my friend came over (thanks Natalie you are a life saver!) to help me with this task. Her little girl and Rachel had a blast!


Oh, and the ending to the story... the little hungry caterpillar becomes a beautiful butterfly. The wings in the book were not particularly my style, so I made it differently...


I am raising three little hungry (mainly the boys) caterpillars. I hope, someday they will spread their wings and become beautiful butterflies.

20 comments :

  1. Georgeous! I wish I had those felt figures when my kids were little..they loved that book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still loving this post, no matter how many times I read it :) And the cherry pie is also still my favourite :) So well done all of them! All the food pieces I mean of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please tell us how to make these wonderfl felt figures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely smart and creative! I wished I would've had the book and the felt food for my boys. I animated stories that I read to them which made them love the stories even more, however, this would've have been an absolute favorite for them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cute. Just the other day I had purchased this book for my great grandson. I'll have to try to make some food. Yours are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The foods are AMAZING! They are so detailed and look exactly like the pictures. My kids would LOVE these (but it'd probably take me a year to make them...)!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is SO darling, I love love love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can that be any cuter! I think it is so adorable! I love when my kids love get into a book - this is such a great way to get them even more involved. So cute and creative.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my gosh! I love that book, it's so cute. those little pieces of food are SO sweet! I'd love for you to add this to our Wicked Awesome Wednesday link party. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your felt food! And I couldn't dream of a cuter butterfly. Hope the news of your family in Japan are good

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your felt food is ADORABLE! I love all Eric Carle books.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this book, too--your felt food is absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy Moly! You are beyond talented, Girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely post. I think my eight year old would still like a finger puppet - just! But next year, he probably won't. This prompts me to include him in my crafting this year, before he's too big. So thanks for that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So beautiful and creative! I LOVE it!

    I have just come across your blog today and find it extremely inspirational! Thank you!

    I had to comment because, believe it or not, I just designed a Very Hungary Caterpillar birthday cake for my son last weekend. You can find pictures here... http://aplaceembracedbyharmony.blogspot.com/2011/04/2x2-and-very-hungary-catapiller-cake.html

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. saw this on pinterest, had to comment, I love this! will have to have a go at making it all myself, brill idea :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love all the felt food! I would love to have a stuffed sausage myself since I own an action figure of Augustus Gloop. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin