Friday, December 2, 2011

Hoot Hoot ~ Crate & Barrel Inspired Owl Ornament

When it comes to ornaments for my Christmas tree I like keeping it simple. My theme colors for my trees are white, silver and a tint of red.

But, when I was visiting the new Crate & barrel store in our area one day I encountered these...


I don't know what it is, but there was something about them that spoke to me. It could be the colorful buttons, hand stitches, or the buttoned eyes... I just adore them. I was standing there for a while and kept touching them for no reason (yes my mother taught me while growing up not to touch anything in the store unless I am buying them, but I couldn't help it). Online, they are sold as a set of three for $23.95, but in the store they were sold separately, and I believe they were about $8.50 each.

In the end I just couldn't bring myself to pay so much money for an ornament and left the store.

Then a couple days ago, I remembered that I was supposed to bring an ornament for a church function for an ornament exchange. The owl popped in my head... I had to give it a try to make an owl ornament!

Please say hi to my owl...



It was so fun to come up with the combination of fabric and wool. I gave her away, but I might have to make more for my family soon. :)

24 comments :

  1. She looks so cute! You really will have to make more, they are so wonderful. I bet you took along the best ornament too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the fabric and special little details :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually I like your version better..very sweet. I love all those little button and beads..you are very talented. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You created such a cute owl! I'm a big owl fan :)

    Hugs,
    Tatyana

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like yours better. To me the gray is drab and ornaments are supposed to be bright. Love yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yours is every bit as adorable as theirs! You have been blessed with a talent, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely more for the Family, Sachiko.
    Your Hootly Owl is adoooorable.

    She's sooo sweet.

    Yep, definitely more for the FAMILY


    hugs
    Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww I bet it was hard to lt her go! I love the fabric combo

    - Sarah
    http://agirlintransit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. We think alike!
    http://happinessis5ive.blogspot.com/2011/12/whole-lotta-christmas.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Precious! You've inspired me to give it a try. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that! I think your owl is the cutest of them all. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think your owl is much nicer than the Crate and Barrel ones.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That little owl is so cute... and I'm not really an owl kind of girl, lol. The detailing is fab!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww your version of the little owl is adorable! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your own is just as cute as the store bought ones & you can personalize yours.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your owls are cuter than your inspiration ones. As always I love your attention to detail and your fine craftsmanship

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like yours beter! Maybe I am just a sucker for the sweet flower button. I need to try to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it this came out really cute I love owls.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are SO adorable! I just love them. Any chance you ever did a tutorial? Either way, I'd love it if you could link up to our Christmas Inspiration party we're having. Or if you have other posts, too!

    ~Angela~

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin