Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Update on Vintage Laura Ashley Dress

Since I am going to get another procedure on Thursday, I am going to take a break from this link party this week. I am not sure how I will be after the procedure, and I don't wanna keep you waiting too long for the link love post.

Today I am going to share the update on my vintage Laura Ashley dress... (you can read about the dress here.


Let me refresh your memory...

Even though I still love the flower print, I didn't care for the really puffy sleeves. It is so outdated, so I took the sleeves off and cut some of it off and put them back on...



The problem with the sleeves wasn't only the shoulders. I didn't like how it was really slim around the wrist. So, I cut it shorter and put in elastic. Now the sleeves are elbow length.


I also didn't care for the neck line. I changed it slightly lower and also made that into a v neck instead of a rounded neck.



Then, I hit a wall. Part of me really wanted to see this dress transformed drastically by cutting the skirt short and making it into a tunic (and, I wanted to make a skirt for Rachel with the extra fabric). Although another part of me still wanted the skirt to be long. It's so hard to make up my mind!




Since then I wore the dress a couple times and I am loving it. I guess I am going to keep it like this for a while... who knows all of a sudden I might decide to cut the skirt short in a couple weeks.

If that happens, I will let you know. :)

17 comments :

  1. It looks lovely. You have such a great sense of style. I love how you can layer things and make it look so effortless and not over-done. I truly admire your style! Praying your procedure goes well and that you recuperate quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the whole outfit ~ I'm a trouser person really but sometimes feel like just getting a dress, boots etc etc.
    lesley

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have never thought to do that with the sleeves. What a great idea. You did a wonderful job updating the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved all the changes you made to the dress. You are so talented. The only thing i didn't care for was the elastic on the sleeves. But thats just me. I've never been a fan of that. Good job! deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sachiko,
    The best of luck to you.
    Take care. Hugs to you and yours.
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the dress long, too. I just love how you know just what to do to change clothing to be how you want it. I hope as I continue to learn how to sew I develop the ability to visualize the process as you can. You really inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What if you came up with a way to be able to make it short when you want it short, or longer when you want it long? I'm no amazing seamstress by any stretch, but I bet there's a way to do it....but maybe it wouldn't look right. ? Anyway, just a thought. I think it looks cute long, so either way I'm sure it will be nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you have made it incredibly adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. very pretty for the holidays, would love to see a picture of your remodel without the sweater hiding the sleeves!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love what you've done to the dress, great updates. Hope the procedure goes well and you recuperate quickly.

    Hugs,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a genetic collagen deficiency called Hypermobile Ehlers and I, like you , get a painful treatment. I get Prolotherapy and the physician injects glucose into my ligaments in order to cause scarring which in turns tightens them up which helps the hypermobile part of EDS. I'm telling you this because I know how lonely it can be in the world of chronic medical conditions that cause pain -EDS causes pain all the time- abd treatments that help us but are so painful. I'm just sending you a hug from someone who knows exactly what you are going through. Unfortunately both my kids got it from me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. you look beautiful in this dress

    ReplyDelete
  13. you look beautiful in this dress

    ReplyDelete
  14. You can always baste the skirt up shorter and then let it down when you want it longer. That's what I've done with a similar dress.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope all goes well with your procedure!
    Jacqueline

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh ~ I remember wearing these dresses! What a fun walk down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
  17. it's beautiful~~happy holidays!!hope you can check out my blog for some +vibes and inspiration! i'm also hosting 2 rad giveaways! bracelets worn by kourtney kardashian, courtney cox and vanessa hudgens! check it! xo

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin