Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Tutorial ~ Coin Wallet

I don't exactly know the proper name for this. When I googled it, it came up as "kiss lock wallet"(which is kind of cute), "metal clamp" and simply "coin wallet". So, I am going to use coin wallet, as I feel that's the most universal name.

I bought the kits at the 100 yen shop in Japan (dollar store here in America). It came with the metal part, rope, and instructions with a traceable pattern. At some fabric stores, they sell the metal parts in the US too, but they don't come with instructions or a traceable pattern. In case you are wondering what to do with it, I will show you the steps and how I made my coin wallet. :)

{You will need}

Metal Part
Rope (optional, because they don't come with the metal around here)
outer and inner fabrics
thread
glue

{How to}

1. I traced the pattern and pinned the pattern onto the fabrics and added 1 cm seam allowance. Cut the fabric. Do the same with the inner fabric too. When you just have the metal part, you can trace the inside line of the metal and extend the lines on both sides down, and make a pattern for it.

2. Right sides together, sew from sides and bottom for outer and inner fabrics.

3. Open the seam and press. Draw a line on the bottom corners (I did a 1" line) and sew to make a boxed bottom. Cut the excess.

4. Fold the top seam allowance and press with an iron. Put outer and inner fabrics wrong sides together. Then, slip stitch to sew them together.

5. With my kit, it told me to put glue on the rope, and put it in to the opening of the metal part with the fabric. Use a sharp tool to push it in.

6. Use long nose pliers to press the metal together, so the fabric will stay securely attached. It is best to use fabric to cover the metal when you press, so the metal won't get damaged.

7. Finished!

I used Amy Butler fabric and polka dot inside. If you change the length from the metal to the bottom, you can also make a pen case or eyeglass case as well. Wouldn't that be fun as a small gift?

I hope my mini tutorial was helpful to give you some ideas of what to do.

Have fun creating everyone!

20 comments :

  1. Love this, Sachiko. I have an old purse with this type of closure that wore out, and I've been wanting to reuse the metal part to make a new purse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has always been a bit of mystery to me. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a coin purse. :)
    Thank you for the tutorial, I didn't know they were so easy to make and I've wanted one for a longer while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. I just love these clasp purses and have been wanting to make one. I've bookmarked your page so when time allows I can find you again. :o) You have a beautiful blog and I enjoyed scrolling down a ways.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never knew these were so simple to make. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never knew these were so simple to make! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks so much for sharing this info. I have had the frames for a few years and haven't made the coin purse yet! I am now inspired and will try it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is very, very cute- Nice job. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  9. muchas gracias por tu tutorial. necesitaba algo así para un bolso que me quiero hacer. muchas gracias!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how I love making personalized purse! How wonderful it would be to find one of these on a "bad" day! Inspiring! customized shirts

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute! I seriously love all the fabrics you choose for your projects, it's all darling.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great post!
    I've been wanting to look up coin purse tutorials for a while now and here it is! You saved me the search.
    You make it all seem so effortless!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How very cool. :) Love your fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been wanting to make a coin purse for a wee while but didn't know how - thank you for your tutorial, it's brilliant, and i adore the fabrics you used xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's great DIY! Thank you;-))d

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this! I would love to make one for my daughter for her birthday since she's always going around Wal-mart picking up the coins that are laying on the floor. My only problem...where did you find the metal piece for the top?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this! I would love to make one for my daughter for her birthday since she's always going around Wal-mart picking up the coins that are laying on the floor. My only problem...where did you find the metal piece for the top?

    ReplyDelete
  18. this is very nice
    and i love the fabric! :-)

    http://slingapaerlor.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin