Monday, December 7, 2020

Tamarack Jacket 1

I have been wanting to sew different things and stretch my skills. One of the items that I have been eyeing is jackets. I found several patterns online and this Tamarack Jacket is one of the jackets I have been dying to get my hands on. Using a hashtag, I was able to see other people's unique version of this jacket; it is so fun to see them. I had so many ideas floating in my mind, but there are a couple things that made me nervous just jumping right in.

First, I wasn't sure how this jacket would fit me. Second, I have never done welt pockets; I feel like that is a bit above my skill level. I would hate to spend so much time creating pieced and quilted material just to make something that is unwearable. So I decided to make a "practice jacket" with already quilted material. I was so lucky to find this fabric at Joann's for 30% off + 20% off my total purchase with a coupon!

Here is the welt pocket I was so afraid of... I had to read the instructions carefully, but it was so well written with diagrams that I was able to figure it out. I am pretty happy with the result.
For this jacket, I decided to go with view B, which is the style with snap buttons.
I followed the body measurement guide on the pattern and chose my size, but I felt like it fit a little on the baggy side. I think I can wear a thick sweater and still be ok. I love how this turned out, and guess what... I realized I have more material to make another jacket! Have you noticed that the title of this post is "Tamarack Jacket 1"? Yes, that means "2" is coming soon! :) I decided to change up a few things and came up with a different one. I can't wait to share it with you soon!

12 comments :

  1. I made one in that exact same fabric! I love it and wear it a lot. Had a little trouble with the binding, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it nice to make something and you love the result? Binding can be a a little tricky!

      Delete
  2. WOW Sachiko, this looks massively adorable
    Now I want to make one
    I do like the snaps
    Happy December!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheery jacket. :-) I like the simple binding on the collar and button flaps. The snap buttons make this a very serviceable, quick-to-put-on item.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted the binding to blend in with the main fabric. It was hard to find the gray fabric I had in mind!

      Delete
  4. I love this! It looks fantastic on you. Welted pockets give it a very professional look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am so happy how welted pockets turned out. :)

      Delete
  5. Wow! Very nice! I really love seeing all of the things you create. Question: I have really big (fat from being an old weightlifter) arms. How do you think this would work for me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like this jacket runs little bigger side including arms. I didn't know how this would fit me, that is why I wanted to make practice jacket. :)

      Delete
  6. I was just wondering how you purchase yardage not knowing what you will use it for. Any hints?? Always enjoy your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes I just buy fabric because I simply love the design and I know I will use it either for quilting, crafting or sewing clothes. For this jacket, the instruction book tells you exactly how much to buy, but I bought more than required since I wanted to practice. Also I got such a great deal on the fabric! :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin