Monday, February 8, 2010

Tutorial~Valentine's Wreath~


Hi there! I realized the Valentine's day is just around the corner, and my house isn't decorated for the occasion at all. I am not big on decorating for each and every holiday, but I wanted something for my front door. So, I created a wreath with things I found around the house and some of my fabric stash. The beauty of this wreath is there is no sewing, no glueing and the whole thing took me about an hour!! This is a very fun last minute Valentine's project.

You will need:

1 wire hanger
1 yard of red thin fleece(that is what I had, but you can use regular fleece too)
Cotton batting strips (I had lot of left over strips from my quilt projects)
Ribbon or fabric strip to use as a ribbon

How to:

1. Use a wire hanger as the structure. Pull it and make a circle. It doesn't need to be perfect.


2. Cut the top part and bend. You will have an instant hook.


3. I made several long strips from my leftover cotton batting. They were about 3-4" wide. Wrapit around the wire circle until it get to your desired thikness.


4. I had 60" W X 1 yd of thin fleece like fabric. I cut 4- 2" X 60" strips. As in step 3, I wrapped it around the wreath.


5. When you are done, simply fold it in.


6. Cut 1" X 10" strips from all the rest of the red fabric. Tie around the wreath 2 peices at time. Tie them sporadically, so you will have enough to cover the whole thing, and fill in the open areas. If you want a fuller look you might want to add more strips.


7. I cut flannel fabric (3" wide), and I had made it into a bow. I love how the wreath looks on my black door!


One of my new year's resolutions is to be more resorceful. I am happy that I made this from things I already owned.

16 comments :

  1. I love it :) But I'm in Australia and we don't really decorate for anything except for Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great and creative way to use what we've got! I love it, especially since we can make it different colors for different holidays! I must attempt this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's incredible! just a hanger, batting and fleece, soooo cute! Happy Valentine's Day!

    http://frivolousnecessity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it!! So easy and soo stylish!!

    If you get the chance, come over and say hi?!

    I am having a fab GIVEAWAY!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That IS resourceful! Nice work! It's so great to find purpose for the things we have lying around. :) What a great project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is darling. I've seen that technique used as for trees, but never for a wreath. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen alot of V-Day wreaths & this one is at the top of the "Cool" list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I decided to feature this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.comb

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a great wreath. I love how you wrapped the wire hanger so that it was fuller. I will definitely be trying this out soon. Thanks for sharing your creative talents with all of us!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not a decorator either, but this is totally doable! I just might have some extra red fleece hanging around here.

    http://patchworkposse.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sashiko,

    Thank you for the sweet comments!

    And good luck with the giveaway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! Come link your cute tute at my party: Thursday's Treasures!!
    http://treasuresfortots.blogspot.com/2010/02/thursdays-treasures-week-9.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for the idea! I just made my own version and I'm loving it! Happy Valentine's day to you and yours!
    Pics of my wreath:
    http://oldmadebeautiful.blogspot.com/2010/02/happy-valentines-day.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am loving this one lots! Thanks for sharing this fantastic idea! Very fun!
    xo,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin