Monday, February 6, 2012

Golden ~ Sweet Potato Recipe


Growing up, baking some sweets was one of my favorite things to do. I collected recipes over the years and some of the recipes have special story attached to them.

This sweet potato recipe was from one of my mother's friends.

Our family moved to a new area when I was 11 years old. There, my mother started making new friends and this lady was one of them. I think she was in her late 20's to early 30's at the time. They were all nice people, but I just really admired her the most, among them. She was intelligent, elegant, kind, graceful, always put together, and had a sense of style in whatever she did without trying too hard (of course being a child at the time, I didn't think quite like that. But now that I am an adult, I can point out exactly what I liked about her).

I always wished I could be like her when I grow up.

We have been exchanging Christmas cards and occasional letters over the years... and guess what? Now she is in her 50's and she is still the person I admire and look up to.

From fall to winter, as I bake this sweet potato I think of her.
This sweet potato is not too sweet or too showy as a dessert, but I never get tired of the simpleness and the gentle flavor.

I am sharing the recipe today, but it is all in grams since it was all written in Japanese.



{Sweet Potatoes}---I always double or triple the recipe.

Base:
Satsuma-imo (Japanese yam. They are yellow inside and less fiberish than regular yams. It is also great for tempura) 200g
Butter 15g
Sugar 50g
Egg Yolk 1
Heavy Cream 1 Tbsp.

Glaze:
Egg Yolk 1
Heavy Cream 2 Tsp.

1. Peel the yam skin. Cut it smaller and steam or boil them until it gets soft.

2. Mash the yams really well in a bowl and add the rest of the base ingredients.

3. Place the baking cups on the baking tray. Put the sweet potato mixture in the baking cups using a spoon.

4. Mix the glaze ingredients together in a separate bowl.

5. Brush the glaze mixture on the sweet potatoes.

6. Bake them at 350 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes. If you used small baking cups, the baking time is shorter. If you used larger cups the baking time is longer. Check often near the end though, you don't want burned bottoms!

I LOOOVE eating them with whipped cream on top (not cool whip). It transforms the sweet potatoes to a whole new different dessert. I hope you will give it a try!

7 comments :

  1. I never knew you could eat sweet potatoes as a dessert, they're not very popular where I live. Do you think this recipe would work with the regular, orange kind? I doubt I could find the Japanese variety easily but I'd love to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mutlaka deneyeceğim. teşekkürler :)

    sevgiler
    www.hobicoffee.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look fantastic! Where do you get the Satsumo sweet potatoes? We love sweet potatoes, so I can't wait to try these!

    Your friend sounds just like my friend. Even though we are the same age, I still want to be like her:).

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a tease you are, Sachiko.

    These look dee-lish and must be a delight for the tongue.

    Thanx for sharing this treasured recipe.

    hugs
    Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds so delicious! i am definetely trying it out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look AMAZING.. YUM.. I've never however heard of Satsumo sweet potatoes and now will be on a hunt for some.. : )) Looks DEVINE.. : ))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks good at least!:) Thanx for the ideea!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin