Saturday, March 17, 2012

Liberty of London Fabrics


I received a surprise package from my mom this week. It was filled with Japanese candies and treats for the kids. As you can easily guess from the title, I received more Liberty of London fabrics.

The reason why I didn't put "!!!" after the last sentence is, I have mixed feeling about this. L of L fabrics are not cheap; I would rather that she spend that money on extra food, drinking water and other supplies for them to prepare for the earthquake, since they are saying that a big one might be coming. I told her that several times on the phone, but she always tells me that she loves going to the fabric store and looking at the beautiful flower prints and it is very therapeutic for her. (By the way, she is not a sewer...). Then, she can't help herself from buying some for me.

After I thanked her and hung up the phone I kept looking at these beautiful fabrics...

My mom thought that this would make a beautiful summer dress for me. So, she sent 3 meters of this one.


They are all so pretty, but my favorite is the top one.


Then, this last one... When I opened it, it literally took my breath away. It contains 17cm X 18cm of 96 different prints! It has been a couple days but I can't stop staring at it and admiring each of the prints. I am so tempted to pull them out and open each fabric, but then I don't think I can put them back in to the case like before. I am contemplating to either use the whole fabric to make one quilt, or use them little by little over time. There are some big decisions to make. :)


I am grateful that my mom cares about me so much that she wants to do something to make me smile even from far away.

Psst... I am designing a special quilt for her birthday this year, and she has no clue. I will write a post about it when I am done making the quilt, just thinking about her reaction makes me giggle.

24 comments :

  1. what thoughtful gifts..that just shows how special relationship and bonding you have with your mom.
    The fabrics are very beautiful and I can't wait to see what you are going to turn them into since you are so talented. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful fabric, lucky you.
    Stefy

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOooh Liberty! What a lovely gift. I was just playing with my little Liberty stash last night. Its just fun to look at isn't it?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet and beautiful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...........how great that she gives her own self a gift (that joy of picking them for you) and then you get them and have joy. Then you get the joy of making her something from them and she'll get the joy of having that beautiful quilt. Now you've shared all the joy with us!

    Beautiful stuff...........

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely colours on your Liberty fabrics. Your mum has good taste. Reading your post makes me think of my mum. She likes to buy things for me and my kids. I would rather she spend the money on herself, but I know it makes her happy to buy things for us, so I try to make sure she has enough. Who knows, we may become like that when we grow older :)
    Enjoy planning what to do with your fabrics given with your mother's love!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The fabrics are just beautiful...and I bet it is good for your Mom to have some positive distractions. When you mentioned they are still having small earthquakes every day I just felt so bad...it must be so stressful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What pretty fabric. What a wonderful mom you have to send you things when things are what they are at home for her. I can't wait to hear about your mom's reaction to her quilt. That will be fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where/how would a person get such fabrics? WOW!
    GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm drooling!!! What lovely fabric!! Do you think your Mom would adopt me?!?
    (I will keep your family in my prayers for whatever may come in their future) Enjoy your great stash! Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  11. The greatness of a mother's heart is wonderful and unfathomable!!
    The fabric is to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are beautiful!!! Very jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know you have mixed feelings about the gift from your mom.
    However, she did tell you that she got pleasure from shopping for it and then thinking how lovely you would look with a dress/shift made from it.
    This is her pleasure.
    So, please take pure pleasure in your enjoyment of her gift.
    Besides, this is just the yummiest of fabrics. ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
    hugs
    Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  14. Liberty fabrics are something special. What a lovely mum you have! You can very occasionally strike lucky at jumble sales or charity shops and pick up vintage designs.
    Ive found afew but....I darent use them lol I treasure them too much!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH, those are so beautiful! I'm sure you will make something wonderful with them, Sachiko.

    Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love moms and those fabrics are beautiful. Your mom had good taste.
    liZ

    ReplyDelete
  17. so so jealous! i love each and every one of these. so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What beautiful fabrics and such a sweet way for her to show her love
    despite her circumstances.Love endures and moms sacrifice..you are so blessed, but I know you know that.
    I remember my mom sewing with Liberty of London fabric and the "hand", the feel of the fabric being so nice. My mom taught me to appreciate good quality and pretty things...she is gone now..but I am grateful for the ways she showed her her love. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So very sweet of your mom! I also am a lover of L of L fabric! In Milan Italy, where I live it is SO PRICEY to buy, but I buy in small amounts and try to dream up fun ways to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can understand your mixed feelings regarding your Mother spending money on fabrics for you but if it makes her happy to make you happy that is also understandable. These are very beautiful fabrics and I'm sure with the amount you have there that you could make a quilt and still have some leftover to use little by little.

    ReplyDelete
  21. i'll bet that your mom smiles from the time she sees the fabric in the store and thinks of you and is smiling in anticipation of your look when you open it up. that's MoM Love...you have a wonderful bond with your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful fabrics!! Your mom has excellent taste. :) Can't wait to see what you create!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just stopping by to say Hi! And to let you know that you are the recipient of the Sunshine Award for posts just like this! So sweet that your mom is thinking of you -- and that you giggle thinking about the gift you will give her. You can find the details in the Saturday post at A Pinch of Joy. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your mom love you so she give you fabric gift. Really it lovely, I know well how we feel when mom give surprise. fabric shop london

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin