Sunday, March 11, 2012

One Year Later


March 11th is not just any other day passing through anymore. One year ago, the date held heavy and special meaning to me forever as it does to hundreds and thousands of people.

I am originally from Sendai, which was affected deeply by the 9.0 earth quake, and tsunami. Thank goodness, everyone in my family was ok, but they still live in the same area and it is less than 80km (almost 50 miles) away from the Fukushima nuclear plant. Also, they are getting minor earthquakes daily. If you are new to my blog, you can read my posts from last year after the earthquake here, here, andhere.

I just want to say thank you to those of you who ask me about my family in Japan. Right now, there is not much to say except what I wrote above. My husband and I have been trying to convince them to move out here, but they have all the reasons not to, and I don't think it is happening.

Most of the survivors are still struggling to rebuild their lives, and their grant money from the government is ending. Because of the one year anniversary, there are special programs on the Japanese television and I have been thinking about what I can do to help lately...

I posted the picture on top, because that picture spoke to me so strongly among so many disaster images. That picture was taken when she was looking at the direction of her son’s kindergarten, and didn't know if he was alive or not at the time. I saw her interview a few days ago, and I am happy to tell you that she was reunited with her husband and son a few days after the photo was taken, and now they are trying to move forward. As a mother of three, I cannot imagine being in her shoes for those several days.

I am going to keep praying for the people of Japan, and hold my family a little tighter today.

15 comments :

  1. our prayers are with you and all who went tru this....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your sweet blog! I'm a new follower..so glad your family is safe...
    Best,
    Anne ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. I have never seen your blog before but I feel for you, your family and the Japanese people effected by this disaster. I just finished this minute watching a programme on tv about the effects on the children of Japan spoke by the children and parents. Unfathomable - the whole lot, the disaster, the radiation, the devastation, the lies, the hurt and shock. My heart goes out to them all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am new to your blog and didn't know this before. This post brought tears to my eyes as I put myself in that young mother's place.

    God bless you and your family and I pray that maybe they will follow you but I know it is hard to leave one's homeland. Hugs to you- Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prayers go out to you as you meditate on the damage done in Japan and reflect on the blessings of your family. God bless you.
    I am truly inspired by you.
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. The picture reminds me that despite cultural, religious and a myriad of other differences, at our core we're the same. I can't imagine that my emotions would be any different than that woman's in the same situation.

    God bless them and you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too am praying. Thank you for your posting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My family, too, is from Sendai and the surrounding area. Although some have gotten their lives back together somewhat, others are struggling to rebuild businesses and homes. My sweet 81 year old aunt and her son are still not able to access the second floor of their house due to extensive structural damage, so live in two rooms downstairs. My heart aches for them and all who are affected. My prayers are with you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for your comments.

    Arlene-

    That is really scary to hear. I hope your aunt and her son are ok, and their lives will be better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here in Hawaii we have been remembering Japan and seeing a lot of footage again of the triple disasters. We also get BBC or NHK world news and hear of personal stories daily from the survivors in Japan. It is heartbreaking. The damage we suffered here from the tsunami was nothing compared to Japan and so our hearts go out to the people there. I guess we feel so connected with Japan because so many of us are Japanese. Also Hawaiians tour Japan and the Japanese tour Hawaii so often. When the earthquake and tsunami hit Japan, we were alerted with tsunami sirens here forewarning us of the impending danger. We sat up all night watching the news and hearing the sirens. Praying for those in harms way.I know we have have some missionaries from our stake that were recently sent out to Japan. They were so excited to go and serve. Best wishes to you and yours. Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been reading your blog for about 9 months or so, love it! But I had to comment on this post because I didn't know that you're from Sendai! I live in Sendai now with my husband and kids! My husband is in the U.S. Army but he is a liason officer and so he works at Camp Sendai with the Jietai. We love Sendai soooo much, we really don't want to ever go back to America! I'm not the only one that feels that way, my kids want to stay here too! Luckily we'll be here for 2 1/2 more years! I'm in the Izumi ward, we're the only gaijins in the whole stake, well minus the missionaries. It's the best ward ever! Well I could go on all day, but just wanted to let you know that we're here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been reading your blog for about 9 months or so, love it! But I had to comment on this post because I didn't know that you're from Sendai! I live in Sendai now with my husband and kids! My husband is in the U.S. Army but he is a liason officer and so he works at Camp Sendai with the Jietai. We love Sendai soooo much, we really don't want to ever go back to America! I'm not the only one that feels that way, my kids want to stay here too! Luckily we'll be here for 2 1/2 more years! I'm in the Izumi ward, we're the only gaijins in the whole stake, well minus the missionaries. It's the best ward ever! Well I could go on all day, but just wanted to let you know that we're here!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tiffany-

    Oh my gosh, you live in Sendai?!!
    I saw a TV show showing this famous ramen shop in Izumi, I was drooling in front of the TV. I am so happy to hear that you love Sendai, and that people are good to you there. Sendai is such a special place for me.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin