Monday, August 8, 2011

Down Memory Lane ~Double Wedding Quilt~



I have more quilts that I made in the past and I haven't shared with you. Today I will talk about this Double wedding ring quilt a little bit. I started working on this quilt shortly after I got engaged to my husband about 17 years ago...

I was visiting the United States from Japan, and after a short while we were engaged. I wasn't expecting that to happen, so I extended the stay but after three months I had to go home (the visa only allowed me to stay for three month). Our original plan was that I would get a visa and come back to the US but I had a hard time getting it. We were separated for 6 month until he came to Japan to marry me (I still couldn't get a visa, and he had to go back for school, so we were separated for another 4 month after that...).

Long story short, it was a hard time for both of us. You can probably guess how I coped with the sadness and frustration... I made quilts. Before I left Japan, I made quilts for my mom, a bag for my sister, and this double wedding ring quilt.





It is done ALL by hand. I didn't know any fancy methods (paper piecing and such), so I traced, cut them by hand, pieced them one by one and quilted. I love hand quilting. While I was sitting and working on my wedding quilt, I forgot all my worries and loneliness... so I just kept on quilting. Not only that, I had happy thoughts about what our married life would be like, how I wanted to decorate our bed with this quilt... seriously, quilt making is so therapeutic. If you are not a quilter, you should try it!

When we were finally reunited and started our life together, I did, I covered our bed with this quilt. I was so happy to see one of my visions for our life together came true...until one day, my husband came out the shower and sat on the bed... on the quilt!

I was thinking; Wait a minute! That wasn't in my plan. It took me so many months to make this quilt... I took the quilt off the bed and decided to make a different quilt to warm my beloved right away. :)

21 comments :

  1. What a lovely quilt!! :)

    We were in different states for a few months right after we were married and it was really hard. You two were obviously meant to be together though!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my opinion there is no quilt that is more beautiful than a double wedding ring. I absolutely love them! this one is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, so Beautiful!!! What a Gorgeous Heirloom...the colors are perfection, and all those tiny stitches...Amazing...TFS Patti

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great story ! thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely story (and with a happy and funny end :) ), and absolutely beautiful quilt!
    Thank you for sharing!

    Hugs,
    Tatyana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny! It is a beautiful quilt, though. You should be very proud. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love to hear the stories behind quilts! Hand quilting IS theraputic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful quilt! I'd love to hear the story of how you met and fell in love. So sweet!!

    Janelle
    -homemadethisandthat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a stunning quilt and I am so wowed by the fact you did it all by hand!!! Your story of making this is beautiful too, and I think it is a "true" wedding quilt in that you thought about your upcoming life together while quilting...you truly sewed your love right into that quilt. Yes, it is a treasure and I had to lol when your DH sat on it out of the shower...I must admit I would probably have done the same and quickly made a replacement quilt for the bed too, hah!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful quilt!! I love the handquilting and the story...very inspiring. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely handmanship. It's a beatiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just beautiful and what a lot of work!
    But it is worth it. No?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. I am amazed at the love and talent stitched into that quilt. Thank you for sharing it. I would have been dismayed if a wet hubby sat on it too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A beautiful quilt and a story to cherish and to pass on... I love hand quilting too, but I haven't made (yet) anything half as beautiful as this. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Now I'm the one "salivating". It's beautiful: soft and feminine. I always wanted to make one double wedding ring and yours make me really, really want to make one its gorgeous and the history its lovely to know that is real life and sounds like "and they live happily ever after". Thankfully you got all your dreams to come thru after such a long wait. Maybe is quite late to tell you this but; Congratulations!!! Ruth K.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lol...great story and a BEAUTIFUL quilt. You are very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a beautiful quilt! Haha, I wouldn't have been able to keep it on the bed after that either.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The quilt is stunning!
    "Funny" that your husband does that too. I finally just started making the bed with the comforter folded up at the end. Not as pretty but he'll just lay on the bed clean and wet or dirty and sweaty and the sheets are easier to wash. (Though he recently did start putting a towel down before he gets on the bed if he's dirty. Duh you have to sleep there!)
    I suspect that the replacement quilt you made is just as lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tus trabajos son preciosos, te felicito por ellos
    saludos
    Josefina
    tijerasycuchara.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin