Friday, August 19, 2011

Tutorial ~ Felt Party Favor Bag ~


Last week we celebrated Rachel's birthday. I will share the tutorial for the party favor bag. Did you know that printed felt exists? A few month ago, I was at Hobby Lobby and found this polka dot felt, and it was on sale (normally they are 2 for $1, I can't remember exactly how much they were, but I got it for less than that). I thought I could make party favor bags that would be usdable as a play thing later on for the girls.



{You will need}

1 - Polka dot felt

Two coordinating felt for the flowers (You can make several flowers out of two, depends on the size of the flowers)

Matching thread, button for the middle of the flower

{How to}

1. Cut two 1 1/2" strips for the handle.


2. Fold the strips in half and sew.


3. Mark on the shorter sides of the other piece of the felt, 1 1/2" from both sides.
Lay the handle right next to the mark, and sew the handle on to the felt.


4. Fold the felt in half and sew both sides. I used a slightly wider than 1/8", narrower than 1/4" seam.


5. To make the boxed bottom, pinch the corner and sew. Cut off the excess.



6. For the flowers, I used three different sizes of cookie cutters as templates. I just pressed the cookie cutter really hard on the felt, and cut on the line.


7. Layer them together (make sure that the flower peddles are offset from each other) and sew. I pinched the back and sewed several times, so the flower doesn't look flat.


8. Sew a button in the middle, and sew it onto the bag.


9. Ready to stuff with party favors!


It was a really laid-back and fun party. I didn't even plan games or anything, I just let them play and did a "nail salon" and face painting. We all had a fun time, it was a good day. :)

11 comments :

  1. That's so cute! I need to go to Hobby Lobby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen printed felt - that's really adorable! I wish there was a Hobby Lobby near me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soooo cute! I can't wait to have an excuse to make those!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the same polka dot felt! I love the little favor bags you made with it. So cute and girly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these little bags. Children can reuse them, they are nice for Easter too.
    I picked up some polka dot felt on a roll at DAISO, it is a Japanese dollar store (the one in San Francisco). It was about 2$ for a yard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very clever idea! I've pinned it to Pinterest (link to your page) as a party idea to use when my granddaughter is older. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this idea! I've never seen printed felt, must find some NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sooooo cute! If you can't get cute printed felt like this, maybe try cute fleece.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin