Friday, January 8, 2010

Tutorial~Jean Skirt for Little Girl~(Got Old Jeans?)

I first did this tutorial for Someday Crafts when I was invited to be a guest blogger. I am posting the tutorial on my blog now, so if you haven't seen it, please enjoy. (I know everyone has at least one pair of old jeans hiding out somewhere.)


It all started when I decided to get rid of this worn pair of jeans...


It was a much darker color when I bought it, but now, some parts are faded (knees, rear...you know how that goes). Then, the frugal side of me kicked in and stopped me form throwing the jeans in the trash. After much consideration, I decided to make a jean skirt for my little girl, since she is out growing the one she has.

Here is what I did;

1. First disassemble the jeans. I cut it around the knee, and cut off the seams, and cut along the edges. You will need the top portions too but cut out the pocket area. Basically, you need 6 panels to make this skirt, and some left over for the waistband and applique. Remember to stay on the edges when you cut, you should have enough fabric left for this project.




2. I made a simple template (quarter inch seam allowance included). It is 13 1/2" tall, 4 1/2" wide at the top and 8 1/2" wide at the bottom. I gave a very slight curve for the top and the bottom. Using the template, cut out 6 panels.


3. Sew 3 panels side by side and make two of them. Open the seam and iron.


4. I used a zigzag stitch on the edge of the seam, so it won't fray. Do the same for all the seams.


5. Sew the front and back together in the same manner.

6. For the waist band, cut two 2" X 13 1/2" strips. Sew them together side by side to make a long piece, then make a big hoop. Pin the hoop around the waist (right sides together) and sew using 1/4" seam allowance.

Fold 1/4" on the other side. Iron. Fold it in half and Iron. Leaving 3/4" opening, sew around the edge. Put elastic through. (measure your little girls tummy, plus an inch for overlap).


7. Finish the bottom edge using your favorite method.

8. Now, the skirt is ready for embelishment.

Iron fusible interfacing to the left over fabrics. This is the fun part where you can do whatever you desire! I did some on the right side, and some on the wrong side of the fabrics, so when I do that applique, I will have two colors to work with.


9. I used cookie cutters for the flower templates. The ones I used were the second and third smallest ones.


10. Trace the flowers and cut.


11. Cut out other fun shapes to go in between the flowers.



12. Sew the circle onto the dark flower, then, sew the dark flower onto the light flower, that way you don't have to sew many layers at onece.


13. Lay the flowers on the seam line between the each panel. That way you won't have to measure it, they will be evenly spread out. Go around the entire skirt.


14. Time to enjoy!

19 comments :

  1. Sachiko, this is a fabulous tutorial. I am ever so amazed by you and all the other ladies out there that can repurpose old clothing into something fabulous. your applique piecing really makes the skirt. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute skirt and awesome tutorial! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How adorable! I'll have to remember that next time I have an old pair of jeans! Cute, cute, cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW...fantastic!!! You are incredible!!! And so awesome to share your secrets!!! We missed you the other night...and people can't stop complimenting my purse!! Hope you're feeling better! I know random comment...just love and miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow great tutorial, thankyou, doesnt it make you feel good to be creative.....
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the tute! I have a pair of jeans in my donation pile just dying to be made into a skirt for my baby girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sachiko, your tutorial and your corduroy skirt tutorial inspired me to come up with this one. Thank you so much for sharing your creations!!


    http://letsgoflyakiteuptothehighestheight.blogspot.com/2010/01/upcycle-recycle-skirt-from-pants.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this idea. I just made one for my little girl.
    http://lavion-rose.blogspot.com/2010/01/suzys-new-jean-skirt.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet your little girl must love having you as a mother since you can make elegant, beautiful clothes and you're so creative! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Sachiko! I am Lelanie of ToSewWithLove. I linked our group blog's posting regarding pants refashioning to this lovely tutorial of yours. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Sachiko. I am Lelanie of the group To Sew With Love. I am not sure if my comment was properly posted but I just wanted to say that this tutorial is fantastic. I linked it to my blog for a refashioning/repurposing post we have in our blog. http://tosewwithlove.blogspot.com/2010/11/refashioned-pants.html

    thanks!

    Lelanie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for this great tutorial.I tried it and my daughter love it so much.In fact this is my first time using sewing machine.Im so happy.Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've just discovered your tutorial and I love it. I wanted to make a new jean skirt for my daughter using some old jeans. I adapted it to my needs, and it was great fun to make. You can see some pictures on my blog http://sewingpot.blogspot.fr/2013/09/une-maxi-jupe-en-jean-recycle.html and I added a picture and a link to yours. See you !

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the way that the jeans transform into a cute, lovely jean skirt. Thanks for the tutorial I now know what to do with my old jeans in the cabinet :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the way that the jeans transform into a cute, lovely jean skirt. Thanks for the tutorial I now know what to do with my old jeans in the cabinet :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thankyou for sharing a pattern to recycle old jeans.. my grandies will love the little skirt :))

    ReplyDelete
  17. Do you have a template you can share for this skirt? One that I could print out? I'm a newbie at sewing but I do better with patterns versus drawing my own for now. Love your work. Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin