Thursday, April 22, 2010

Simple Pleasures


I want to write about my life lately...what happend and what I learned.

My husband left the country on a bussiness trip on April 10th. He was supposed to be back on the 16th but that didn't happen. Guess why... (he was in Oslo, Norway.)

He called me few days before his return date and said

"Hey, I don't think I will be home on Friday."

I saw the news that morning, and I had a bad feeling about it when he said that, but I had to ask, "why?"

Those of you who didn't hear what happend in Iceland... a volcano erupted and the wind was blowing so much ash and particles in the air. They are harmful to airplanes. All the airports were closed, and thousands of people were stranded. They had no idea when the sky wwould be clear enough to fly. Everyday, he would call me and told me the latest, but because they were dealing with nature, no one could predict what was going to happen for sure.

At one phone call, he told me that earliest he might be able to come home will be in May! I was so worried about him, also, I was really thinking about how much he helps me day to day around the house and with raising our children. Doing everything alone can be very tiring sometimes.

On the 17th, I took the kids to the park and lost my cell phone. That did it. I was officially one very sad person.

Loosing my cell phone seems like it's not such a big deal, but I had my contacts in the cell, also I thougt there is one less way that he can reach me. I had a good cry that night.

The next day, he called and told me that he and his co-workers are flying to Iceland and coming home. I know, why Iceland?! That is the place that caused all of the problems! He told me that they will fly north over the volcano and be on the opposite side of where the wind was blowing all the ash and spend the night in Iceland.

Long story short, he finally came home on the 21st safe and well. I was so relieved and happy. There were still more people stuck there and couln't come home by the time he got back. I heard that some people even ran out of money and were struggling too. I hope the ash will disperse soon and everyone can go home to their loved ones.

My mini crisis was only 11 days total. Since he called me to tell me that he doesn't know when he will be coming back, my thoughts went out to those who are single mothers or their husbands are serving our country overseas. If you are one of those women, I want to ask, "How do you do it?" I gained tremendous respect for those of you who stay strong and keep going. I pray for all of you...

The evenig he got back, the sun was still out, the kids were playing in the back yard. Michael and Rachel found some flowers and gave them to me.

"Here mommy!"

I put them in the water and took some pictures to remember how happy I felt. The kids were so excited to see thier daddy. They were all over him and basically I had to get in line to talk to him.

We may not be rich and famous, but everyone is well and happy. The moment was just so... perfect. The 11 days reminded me that you never know what will happen tomorrow, so I need to cherish today and let them know how much I love them. I guess sometimes we easily forget that those everyday simple moments are the most precious gifts that we possess.

19 comments :

  1. A beautiful post. Hopefully everyone is making their own ways home now to be with their families.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post. And I totally agree with you that we tend to forget all the simple yet precious treasures in our lives. I'm glad to hear that your hubby is back in town. Now you have one happy family, complete :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! What an ordeal. So glad he made it home- and before MAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post. My hubby will be leaving in 4 days for a 4 month deployment to Iraq. I understand completely where you are coming from. I've got 3 kids, and I know that they'll keep me busy, but there is just something to be said about having that support in your corner when you're being "so mean". (I have a 13 yo daughter. I had the same thought about people stranded when I read an article in our paper this week, here in Vegas, talking about all the people that were here. It made me wish that there was something that I could do for them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a relief...so glad he is home with you and safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. such a lovely post. I'm glad your crisis didn't last as long as it could have. It was so strange not seeing or hearing planes in the sky above Britain. Really strange.

    You are right, it's the simple things in life that are the best. Today we are all home, me, my husband and our gorgeous little girl. No plans, just being home together, and that makes it a favourite day to me! :o) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet post :) My husband served 8 years in the army. It is so tough taking care of the kids, home, bills, and just everyday life all by yourself. I admire those women (and men!) who have to do it every day by themselves. IT's a tough life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Sadie, we are so used to seeing planes here in Britain, but after these couple of weeks of not having them, we point them out when we see them! So glad your husband is back ok, my brother got stuck, and our assistant pastor is stuck on holiday! My brother is back now and our pastor has a flight on Tuesday. It seems to be getting back to normal here now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the post. I'm a military wife. My husband left for basic training two days after we got married. We spent the next seven months separated and the only way we got to communicate was through letters. We finally got to spend a few months together after his training. A year-and-a-half later he deployed for 18 months. We had two kids by then. I did another 15 month deployment with three kids about a year-and-a-half after he returned from his first one. It isn't easy being a military wife but let me tell you, I really wouldn't have it any other way. We love each other and our kids with a passion. I thank God every day for having him in my life. And I think we should all live that way. You never know when you will lose a loved one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad your husband made it home alright. Mine was in Afghanistan for 4 months this past fall. I spent the first month alone with my 2-year-old and baby and spent the rest at my parents' house. It was exhausting but not as difficult as I'd expected. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know how you feel when you are uncertain of when your hubby will be home and if everything will be ok. Mine is in Afghanistan right now for a 4 month deployment. This is the first time for us. What I have learned is that even though I love my hubby more than anything and I WANT him, I found that I don't NEED him. I can do things on my own. That was a HUGE revelation for me! But I can't wait until he gets home. Glad yours made it home safely!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My husband has done 3 deployments in the past 3 years. In the 4 years we've been married, he's been away for deployments or training more than 1/2 the time. You do what you have to when they're away because there's no other choice, and I always use the opportunity allow myself to grow. That has been through things like learning to sew, becoming a runner, and becoming very involved in giving back to our community. I miss him terribly when he's away, but have found a way to make those times something to look forward to as well (like saving sewing class for when he's gone). Having new interests to share after 7 long months definitely helps to strengthen our marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you are ok! And your poor hubby stuck out of town! What a couple of week for you!!!
    And I am glad you found the simple, beautiful joys!!
    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this line "We may not be rich and famous, but everyone is well and happy." I hope I can remember that when I"m tempted to be bummed out with life.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, thank you everyone for your wonderful comments! I was so touched that you guys took the time to tell me what you think, especially, those whose husbands are away... Thank you and hang in there! I will be praying that your loved ones will be home safely too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great Post-- I too have been single mom-in' it :( while my husband travels for work & some days you feel like throwing in the towel... but then it is the simple pleasures, like you said- that make you take another deep breath & keep on truckin'
    Loooove your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. 11 days. That seems...like not a big deal. I realize that, to you, it's a major thing, but for single moms that's literally nothing. I lost my first husband in a car accident when my daughter was less than a month old. I didn't meet my current husband until my daughter was 2, I didn't let him "help" out until she was 3. I'll admit, that life is much simpler now that I have him, but I'm completely at ease with taking care of my daughter (and son now) when he's out of town.

    You know how single moms do it? We suck it up. We get used to making it work for our kids and ourselves. The best way to manage your life as a single mother is to just do it and not dwell on what could have, should have or would have happened IF.

    I'm glad that your husband made it home safely!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello to you
    I was reading this story and im so sad for you that he had to stay so long away from you all. I`m from Iceland but i live in Norway now.
    God that he came home well. I`m sorry i dont write good english but i try. Hope you understand this. I like your blog. Discower it today. Hope you visit my blog witch i call: Min hjerteblogg. Welcome.
    I like kniting and sewing.
    Wish you nice day.
    Hug from Anna Lisa in Norway :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin