Monday, July 18, 2011

Updates & a Cookbook for a Good Cause


(I will explain the picture later in the post)

I have been asked many times "So...how is your family?"...

After the earthquake, I received an enormous amount of emotional support from different people in different ways. You, dear blogger friends are some of them too. Thank you for being there for me.

I feel like I owe you some updates about my family but not much has changed. My family still lives in Sendai and is trying to live a normal life. They are fairly close to the nuclear reactor (within 80 km), and they still get smaller earthquakes daily. Sometimes, while we are on the phone, they will say "Ah! It's starting again, I gotta go!"...then they hang up the phone. I try not to but I can't help thinking "what if that was the last time I could talk to them..." until I hear from them again.

I am really worried about my small nieces and how the radiation will affect their bodies in the future. I have been trying to convince my family to come to America and stay with us, but their answer is "No". Their reason being is "they don't want to inconvenience us" or "What about school, job and mortgage", and so on. Also, my family still lives in their own house and now they can buy pretty much anything they need, so they don't feel like they have to make such a big decision, at least not yet.

On the other hand, people who lost everything, their living situation is FAR from normal. For example, one of my sister’s friends who lost their house (she is in her mid-30’s and she has two elderly parents and a grandmother who depends on her) sleeps in a tent by the destroyed home, and is working on the clean-up every day.

I have been sending care packages here and there, but I know that is only a fraction of what they really need. There are many stories that I have heard, but I hesitate to even share on my blog, because they are so disturbing...

After the quake, I heard stories and witnessed so many acts of humility and kindness towards the tsunami victims in Japan. It was and still is such a horrific event, but I am astonished that so many people have come together to do something to help and contribute.

I often think about the ways that I can help; a lot more than just my family and friends.

Missy from How Does she contacted me after the quake saying that she is putting a cookbook together to raise money for Japan. She contacted 50 plus bloggers and asked us to contribute their favorite recipes for the cookbook.
Then Heather from ChickaBug designed everything and just kept working hard till this cook book became a reality. You know what is great about them? They are going to donate 100% of the proceeds from the cookbook sale to the Red Cross.

She designed a big cartel site to sell it on so she wouldn't "gain" from any traffic it might send. She just wants to be clear that this is ENTIRELY about raising money for people who need it and has NOTHING to do with her blogging. Also, this book has no direct link to her site.

The book is designed to be used as an e-book, but it can also be printed and bound. It is a pdf, which is also perfect for iPad or e-readers. I have already received my copy, and let me tell you, it looks great! In case you are wondering what kind of recipe I contributed... (whisper) my mom's Kara-age(deep fried)chicken. It is a one of my favorite dishes that my mother made for us growing up. There are so many recipes that look so good and I want to try making them.

I should have a link to the shop on big cartel soon, so check back...

This book will be on sale for 1 week, and 1 week only! August 8th through the 14th.

I am going to ask for your help... Please talk, Facebook, tweet, post on your blog to spread the word. The price is going for $10 or $15; I haven't heard the final decision. Just think... You can gain 50 plus awesome recipes for a small amount of money, and 100% of that money will be donated to help the tsunami victims. Don't you think this is a win-win situation for all?

I just want to say a BIG thank you to Missy and Heather on behalf of the Japanese people who will be benefited by this for their kindness, thoughtfulness and dedication to this project. If we are all like them, the world would be a much better place to live. Don't you think so? :)

3 comments :

  1. I'm so glad she contacted you. I told her you would very interested in participating. YEAH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful idea. I will share on Facebook and my blog. Thanks for the info. I LOVE cookbooks, especially for a great cause. These ladies are awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin